James M. Ludlow Manuscripts
Permanent URL: http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/1j92g7490
- Ludlow, James M. (James Meeker), 1841-1932.
- Title and dates:
- James M. Ludlow Manuscripts
- The James M. Ludlow Manuscripts consist of assorted manuscripts and a small selection of miscellaneous material of the American Presbyterian clergyman, author, and Princeton graduate (Class of 1861), James Meeker Ludlow (1841-1932).
- 0.6 linear feet
- 1 archival box, 1 half-size archival box
- Call number:
- Princeton University. Library. Dept. of Rare Books and Special Collections
Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA
- Language(s) of materials:
- Storage note:
- This collection is stored offsite at the ReCAP facility.
Ludlow was a Presbyterian clergyman and author, as well as a member of the Princeton Class of 1861.
Consists of unpublished manuscripts, a small selection of printed matter, and one letter. The manuscripts include four volumes of essays, "Andiron Stories," "Science and the Bible," an untitled volume of miscellaneous essays, and a group of essays in autobiographical form; an essay written by Ludlow on the occasion of his 90th birthday; the play "Jephthah;" and a volume of short stories, "Ghost Stalking in Italy." There are several printed sermons by Ludlow and newspaper clippings. There is also one letter by the editors of The Atlantic Monthly regarding essays that Ludlow submitted to the magazine.
The following standard abbreviations, or their variations, are used to identify materials in this collection: TLS = typed letter signed, AMsS = autograph manuscript signed, and TMsS = typed manuscript signed.
The collection has been organized alphabetically by title, with miscellaneous material located at the end.
Access and Use
Collection is open for research use.
Please consult with Rare Books and Special Collections about having the collection recalled to Firestone Library for your use. This process normally requires 48-72 hours notice.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Associate University Librarian for Rare Books and Special Collections. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
Acquisition and Appraisal
The collection was formed as a result of a departmental practice of combining into one collection manuscript material of various accessions relating to a particular author.
Processing and Other Information
This collection was processed by Karla J. Vecchia in 2004. Finding aid written by Karla J. Vecchia in 2004.
Descriptive Rules Used
Finding aid content adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard.
Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD 2002 by Techbooks, Cristela García-Spitz, and Amy E. Armstrong on May 11, 2007. Created from MARC record via MarcEdit and XSL stylesheets in 2007.
Language(s) of this Finding Aid
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); James M. Ludlow Manuscripts, Box and Folder Number; Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. -- Clergy.
- Authors, American -- 19th century.
- Authors, American -- 20th century.
- Bible and science.
- Clergy -- United States -- 19th century.
- Clergy -- United States -- 20th century.
- Short stories, American -- 19th century.
- Short stories, American -- 20th century.
Browse other finding aids related to the following terms: