Eden Phillpotts Collection
Permanent URL: http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/8336h192c
- Phillpotts, Eden, 1862-1960.
- Title and dates:
- Eden Phillpotts Collection
- Eden Phillpotts was a prolific and popular English novelist, playwright, and poet. Papers consist of about 120 letters by Phillpotts to G. Herbert Thring and Denys Killam Roberts of the Society of Authors and Macleod Yearsley regarding the publishing of his works. Additions to the collection include 64 letters, printed matter and newspaper clippings (1921-1960) about Phillpotts and his works.
- 0.25 cubic feet
- 1 box
- Call number:
- Princeton University. Library. Dept. of Rare Books and Special Collections
Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA
- Language(s) of materials:
- Storage note:
- This collection is stored onsite at Firestone Library.
Phillpotts was a prolific and popular English novelist, playwright, and poet.
Consists of about 120 letters by Phillpotts to G. Herbert Thring and Denys Killam Roberts of the Society of Authors and Macleod Yearsley, his physician, regarding the publishing of his works, including new editions, foreign rights, stage performances, translations, arrangements with various publishing houses, and financial details, and containing comments on other writers, such as Thomas Hardy.
Additions to the collection include 64 letters (1946-1960) by Phillpotts to Waveney Girvan, editor of The West Country Magazine, letters to William Percival Farren, Mrs. K. Fraser, Malcolm Morley, and others, and copies of a few miscellaneous letters; also included is printed matter and newspaper clippings (1921-1960) about Phillpotts and his works.
Access and Use
Collection is open for research use.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Associate University Librarian for Rare Books and Special Collections. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Purchased from David Holmes.
Processing and Other Information
This collection was processed in 2002. Finding aid written in 2002.
Descriptive Rules Used
Finding aid content adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard.
Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD 2002 by Techbooks, Cristela García-Spitz, and Amy E. Armstrong on May 25, 2007. Created from MARC record via MarcEdit and XSL stylesheets in 2007.
Language(s) of this Finding Aid
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Eden Phillpotts Collection, Box and Folder Number; Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- Girvan, Ian Waveney.
- Roberts, Denys Kilham, 1903-1976.
- Thring, G. Herbert.
- Yearsley, Macleod, 1867-1951.
- Society of Authors (Great Britain).
- Authors and publishers -- England -- 20th century.
- Novelists, English -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
Browse other finding aids related to the following terms: