The collection consists of sermons, correspondence, genealogies, documents, photographs, memorabilia, and printed matter of the Duffield family of Princeton, N.J. One hundred sermons (1849-1871) and correspondence of John T. Duffield (Princeton Class of 1841, professor of mathematics, 1847-1898) form the bulk of the collection. Other family members represented include Duffield's daughters Helen K. and Sarah G. Duffield and his sons Edward Dickinson Duffield (Princeton Class of 1892), acting Princeton president (1932-1933) and chairman of the university's board of trustees, and Henry Green Duffield (Princeton Class of 1881), treasurer of the university (1901). There are photographs and memorabilia of Princeton, school grades of various family members, and several issues of Princeton Boys' News, 1887-1888, a student newspaper edited by Edward D. Duffield.
The Duffield family was a prominent family of Princeton, N.J. Rev. John T. Duffield (Princeton Class of 1841) was a professor of mathematics at Princeton during the years 1849-1898. Edward Dickinson Duffield (Princeton Class of 1892) was president of Prudential Insurance Co. before serving as acting Princeton president from 1932 to 1933. Henry Green Duffield (Princeton Class of 1881) served as treasurer of Princeton University from 1901 to 1930.
Please consult with Rare Books and Special Collections about having the portion of the collection at ReCAP recalled to Firestone Library for your use. This process normally requires 48-72 hours notice.
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Associate University Librarian for Rare Books and Special Collections. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
Duffield Family Papers; 1838-1948, Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.