The collection consists of an open collection of photographs by Abdullah frères. Currently, there are two of Ephesus (Turkey) and 31 of Constantinople [Istanbul].
The Ottoman Armenian brothers Vhichen (1820–1902), Hovsep (1830–1908) and Kevork Abdullah (1839–1918) operated a famed photographic studio in Istanbul from 1858 to 1900, when they sold the firm to Sébah and Joaillier. Known by their French name Abdullah frères (Abdullah brothers), they became official royal photographers to the Ottoman Sultan in 1863, and had the right to use the royal monogram. Between 1866 and 1895, they also had a branch studio in Cairo.
Purchase from Krul Antiquarian Books and Bernard J. Shapero in 2005-2008 acquired with matching funds provided by the Program in Hellenic Studies with the support of the Stanley J. Seeger Hellenic Fund (AM2005-60, 2006-75, 2008-81) along with gift of Program of Hellenic Studies in 2004 (AM2005-3).
Folder inventory added by Nicholas Williams '2015 in 2012.
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Associate University Librarian for Rare Books and Special Collections.
Abdullah Frères Photographs Collection; 1880s, Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.