Mary Chrystie Papers
Permanent URL: http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/vt150n002
- Chrystie, Mary A., 1825-1842
- Title and dates:
- Mary Chrystie Papers
- bulk 1833-1841
- A collection of letters and other writings written principally by Mary Chrystie, but also other members of Chrystie/Few family, mostly from the 1830s through 1840s. Mary Chrystie is a pious, intelligent, chatty, and wealthy young lady from Fishkill Landing, New York. Unfortunately Mary dies at the early age of 17 from tuberculosis in Nice, France.
- 1.0 linear feet
- 1 Hollinger, 1 half-size archival box, 1 volume
- Call number:
- Princeton University. Library. Dept. of Rare
Books and Special Collections
Cotsen Children's Library
Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA
- Language(s) of materials:
- Storage note:
- This collection is stored at Firestone Library, RBSC South East, Cotsen.
Mary Chrystie is a pious, intelligent, chatty, and wealthy young lady from Fishkill Landing, New York. Unfortunately she is also sickly. She dies at the early age of 17 from tuberculosis in Nice, France, where her mother and father took her in order to spend the winter in a warm climate.
A collection of letters and other writings written principally by Mary Chrystie but also other members of her family. The collection mostly consists of correspondence between Mary Chrystie and her family members from 1833-1841, and Mary Chrystie's diary 1837-1841. Chrystie is a precocious, well-to-do child growing up in New York State and Princeton in the years leading up to the American Civil War.
Box 1: Letters, organized by correspondent. Box 2: Storybooks and Journals. Volume 3: Diary of Mary Chrystie.
- Correspondence, 1833-18411830s-1840s
- Storybooks and Journals, 1831-1837
- Diary of Mary Chrystie, 1837-1840
Access and Use
This collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information
Photocopies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Gift of Bruce C. Willsie, class of 1986, in 2002.
No materials were separated during 2014 processing.
For additional biographical and geneological information about the Chrystie/ Few families and Mary Chrystie, as well as classroom teaching materials related to the collection, see notes by Eric Johnson at Seeley Mudd Manuscript Library.
Publications Citing These Papers
Eric Johnson, Ohio State University, "Making Mary: Maternal Shaping and the Construction of Childhood in the Mary Christie Archive".
Processing and Other Information
This collection was processed by Eric Johnson in 2002. Finding aid written by Ian Dooley and Miranda Marraccini in 2014.
Descriptive Rules Used
Finding aid content adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard.
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-03-03T16:35-0500
Language(s) of this Finding Aid
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Mary Chrystie Papers, Box and Folder Number; Cotsen Children's Library, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- American poetry -- 19th century.
- Boarding school students -- United States -- 19th Century
- Homebound instruction -- United States -- 19th Century
- Travelers, American -- 19th Century -- Diaries
- Young adults -- United States -- 19th Century
- American diaries -- 19th century.
Browse other finding aids related to the following terms: