Biography and History

Princeton University Press opened on 30 Nassau Street in Princeton, New Jersey, in 1905 with a capital of $25,000. Charles Scribner '1875 served as its first president. In 1910 the Press was reincorporated under an act providing for not-for-profit organizations “to establish, maintain, and operate a printing and publishing plant, for the promotion of education and scholarship, and to serve the University by its manufacturing and distributing publications.” Its first incorporators were Charles Scribner, M. Taylor Pyne, Archibald D. Russell, Parker D. Handy, Clarence Blair Mitchell, Arthur H. Scribner, and Robert Bridges. In 1911, Mr. Scribner contributed the site for the Press at the corners of William and Charlton Streets as well as the Press building and much of the printing machinery.

Since the publication of its first book, Princeton University President John Witherspoon's Lectures in Moral Philosophy (1912), the P.U.P has published well over 2000 titles. Among these are such seminal works as Einstein's Theory of Relativity and von Neumann and Morgenstern's The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior. The Press has also undertaken such long-range projects as the publication of The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, edited by Julian Boyd, and The Papers of Woodrow Wilson, edited by Arthur Link. Since its 1905, the Press has also printed The Princeton Alumni Weekly.

Although closely connected with the University, the Princeton University Press is a separate corporation. Nine of its fifteen trustees must be members of the faculty or administration of the University or alumni. The president of Princeton University, an ex-officio trustee, appoints four faculty members to five-year terms on the editorial board, which controls the imprint of the Press.

Source: From the finding aid for C0728

  • Princeton Alumni Publications, Inc. Editor's Records. 1895-1929 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC013

    The PAW is successor to the Alumni Princetonian, a weekly publication of the Daily Princetonian. In 1919 the Princeton Printing Company dissolved and printing of the PAW was taken over by the Princeton University Press. The PAW was a weekly magazine during the school year until changing to its current bi-weekly format in 1977. The magazine is now published during the academic year for alumni and professional staff of the University.

  • Office of Communications Records. 1917-2015 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC168

    The Office of Communications is Princeton University's administrative department with oversight of media relations and publicity, official publications, web site design and development, and photographic services. The Office of Communications Records consist of subject files and photographs created by the office, some going back to the 1920s, when the first Director of Public Relations was appointed.

  • Princeton Publishing Company records. 1900-1919 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC273

    The Princeton Publishing Company was incorporated in 1900 to oversee the printing of the Alumni Princetonian, a forebear to the Princeton Alumni Weekly. The records consists of materials which document the activities of the Princeton Publishing Company, largely relating to financial matters.

  • Princeton University Bulletin Correspondence. 1899-1901 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC377

    The Princeton University Bulletin, a quarterly publication edited by the president and members of the faculty, was published from 1889 to 1904. The collection contains a single letterpress copybook of business correspondence.

  • Paul Elmer More Correspondence. 1916-1936 (inclusive).

    Call Number: C0132

    Consists of correspondence between Paul Elmer More and the Princeton University Press, which published several of his books during the period from 1916 to 1936.

  • P. J. Conkwright Collection. 1936-1985 (inclusive).

    Call Number: C0665

    Designer and Typographer, P.J. Conkwright worked at the Princeton University Press from 1939 to 1970. His collection includes biographical material, correspondence, calendars, and other printed material about the Princeton University Press.

  • Princeton University Press Records. 1905-2014 (inclusive), 1940s-1990s (bulk).

    Call Number: C0728

    The Princeton University Press Records document the business acitivities of Princeton University Press. They include extensive files on works published by the press, as well as staff files, review files, editorial board and board of trustees files, financial information, production files, and publications.

  • Princeton University Press Records. 1905-2014 (inclusive), 1940s-1990s (bulk).

    Call Number: C0728

    The Princeton University Press Records document the business acitivities of Princeton University Press. They include extensive files on works published by the press, as well as staff files, review files, editorial board and board of trustees files, financial information, production files, and publications.

  • Karl S. Twitchell Papers. 1911-1967 (inclusive).

    Call Number: MC171

    Karl S. Twitchell was an American mining engineer who conducted extensive surveys in the Middle East, Europe, and South America between 1915 and the 1950s. His papers document the span of his career, particularly his interest in the Middle East, and include correspondence, journals, notes, reports, writings, topical files, photographs, and maps. Personal documents and correspondence with family and associates are also contained.