Biography and History

The University Hotel existed at the corner of Railroad Avenue (today University Place) and Nassau Street from 1876-1887. The land for the University Hotel was purchased in July 1875 by William Harris of the Princeton Hotel Company, a venture owned by notable Princeton figure William Libbey. The house existing on the plot was moved to Bayard Street (where it later operated as the Peacock Inn) and a hotel was built in its place. The University Hotel operated for a decade until 1886, when it was taken over by a group of sophomore students who were looking to house their organization. After moving from the University Hotel this organization would become Cottage Club.

Source: From the finding aid for AC324

  • University Hotel Records. 1876-1886 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC324

    The University Hotel existed at the corner of Railroad Avenue (today University Place) and Nassau Street from 1876-1887. Consists of three volumes of guest registers from the University Hotel.

  • University Hotel Records. 1876-1886 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC324

    The University Hotel existed at the corner of Railroad Avenue (today University Place) and Nassau Street from 1876-1887. Consists of three volumes of guest registers from the University Hotel.