Pyne, M. Taylor (Moses Taylor), 1855-1921.
Biography and History
Moses Taylor Pine (class of 1877) was a longtime trustee and benefactor of Princeton, and did much to usher the school's transition from a college to a university by way of his donations and financial support. Among other projects, in conjunction with fellow trustee Bayard Henry, Pyne amassed a sizable collection of records, letters, and writings documenting the early history of the University. Upon its donation in 1894 the Pyne-Henry Collection formed the cornerstone of the University Archives.
Source: From the finding aid for AC125
Biography and History
Moses Taylor Pyne was a man of great inherited wealth, accumulated originally by his maternal grandfather, Moses Taylor (first president of the National City Bank of New York and the principal stockholder in the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company), and devoted most of his adult life, and much of his fortune, to helping Princeton grow from a college into a university. During his thirty-six years on the Board of Trustees he did not miss a single meeting. A member of the famous Class of 1877, Pyne acquired at Princeton a lasting taste for Latin and Greek. A year after receiving his LL.B. at Columbia Law School in 1879, he married Margaretta Stockton, a great-great-granddaughter of Richard Stockton 1748, and became general counsel for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company. In 1891 he resigned from this office in order to give more time to his other interests, especially Princeton. Pyne's estate, "Drumthwacket," was for many years the focus for much of the social life of the University and the town; it is now the New Jersey governor's mansion.
Source: From the finding aid for C0327
Call Number: AC026
This collection contains scrapbooks created by Princeton students which document their social and academic activities while undergraduates.
Call Number: AC031
The Inspector's records consist of reports, receipts, vouchers, accounts and some correspondence concerning repairs to student rooms and other buildings. The receipts and vouchers are mainly from craftsman who conducted the repairs. Little information concerning individual students or their accounts can be found in these records. The position of Inspector was instituted in 1767 and apparently lasted until the mid-19th century at which time it merged into the Treasurer's Office.
Call Number: AC032
The Steward and Refectory records relate to various expenses incurred by students while at Princeton. They are divided into two series. The first, refectory accounts, consists predominantly of lists of students and the amounts due from each for itemized expenses including room and board, tuition, library, servant wages, washing, damages and fuel. Other materials include bills, various accounts and reports, an inventory of furniture belonging to the kitchen in 1816, and bills, accounts and reports relating to the building of a new refectory in 1834-35. The second series consists of accounts, vouchers, correspondence, receipts and statements of expenses relating to the University Steward. The 1869 Steward's file consists of a list of local boarding houses and the owners, student residents and payments.
Call Number: AC125
The Pyne-Henry Collection is a diverse group of documents, letters and writings relating to Princeton University, covering an array of topics primarily concerning student life and administrative activities. The collection consists of letters, essays and orations, reports, memoranda, minutes, proclamations, accounts and class lists, and other documents written by students, faculty and administrators which, along with other administrative records and Trustee Minutes, constitute the earliest records and documentary history of the University. Most of these papers and records were amassed by Princeton alumni Moses Taylor Pyne (Class of 1877) and Bayard Henry (Class of 1876) during the latter half of the nineteenth century.
Call Number: C0327
Consists of papers of Moses Taylor Pyne (Princeton Class of 1877), who devoted most of his adult life, and much of his acquired fortune, to helping Princeton grow from a college into a university.
Call Number: C0849
Consists of 244 stones used in Mesopotamia and adjacent areas of the ancient Near East from prehistoric times to make impressions in clay, particularly seals on clay tablets and their envelopes.