Biography and History

The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. The Foundation was established as a not-for-profit Delaware corporation, the assets and income of which were dedicated "to and for the use of" Princeton University. Marie Robertson (wife of Charles Robertson, Princeton Class of 1926) bestowed an anonymous gift on Princeton in the form of $35 million of shares in The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P supermarkets) that was used to found the Robertson Foundation. The Foundation was known as the "X" Foundation until Marie Robertson's death in 1972 and was thereafter known as the Robertson Foundation. As a result of the settlement agreement reached on December 9, 2008 in the Robertson v. Princeton University lawsuit, the Robertson Foundation was dissolved on February 27, 2009, and the endowment associated with the Foundation is controlled by Princeton University.

Source: From the finding aid for AC357

  • Robertson Foundation Records. 1959-2009 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC357

    The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).

  • Robertson Foundation Records. 1959-2009 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC357

    The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).