Biography and History

The President is the chief executive officer of the University. He presides at all meetings of the boards of trustees and of the faculty and at all academic functions at which he is present and represents the University before the public. The Trustee by-laws charge him with the general supervision of the interests of the University and with special oversight of the departments of instruction.

Source: From the finding aid for AC068

Biography and History

The role of Princeton University's president, who is chosen by and answerable to the Board of Trustees, has evolved significantly since Jonathan Dickinson first taught a handful of students in his Elizabeth, New Jersey parsonage in 1747. By the close of Harold Dodds's tenure, more than two centuries later, the undergraduate and graduate student body had swelled to 3,584 and the faculty to 582, supported by an extensive infrastructure of libraries, laboratories, classrooms, and residential and recreational facilities. By the middle of the twentieth century, the president, once the heart and soul of a fledgling college chiefly concerned with preparing men for ministry, was charged with leading a complex multi- disciplinary and non-sectarian institution.

The presidents of Princeton University (or the College of New Jersey as it was known prior to 1896) have always served as their institution's chief executive officer. Their primary function, however, is no longer pedagogical but administrative, and even in this sphere, they now share their duties with others. Their leadership remains a critical factor in Princeton University's success, but their centrality and ubiquity have slowly diminished. In the words of Thomas Jefferson Wertenbaker, “Today the president of an American college, as its educational leader and chief administrative officer, is vital to its prosperity and progress, but two centuries ago he was still more important, for the entire life of the institution centered upon him.” Of Aaron Burr, Sr., the College of New Jersey's second president, Wertenbaker writes: “He was president, professor, secretary, librarian, purchasing agent all in one.” ( Princeton, 1746-1896)

Even when Princeton University had far outgrown its small beginnings, presidents like Francis Landey Patton carried a disproportionate burden, though by the close of the nineteenth century, this was seen as an error in judgment rather than a necessary virtue. According to David W. Hirst, “Even by standards of that day, the administrative structure of Princeton was spare to the extreme. Patton conducted college affairs from his study in Prospect. He had no personal secretary until 1895 when he assigned that position to his son, George Stevenson Patton '91, and there was no college or university secretary until the election of Charles Williston McAlpin in December 1900. Patton was assisted by only one dean for most of his term, during which he turned aside the faculty's urgent appeals to inaugurate a system of deans to accommodate the expanding institution.” ( A Princeton Companion) In contrast, by 1957, when Dodds retired, the president could draw on the talents of no fewer than six deans, aided, in turn, by six assistant or associate deans.

The 15 presidents whose records can be found in this collection faced a wide range of challenges, from the warfare of the American Revolution, which left Nassau Hall in ruins, to the twentieth-century educational reforms that propelled Princeton University into the first tier of the world's universities. Their training and abilities also varied, and it is this diversity of men and issues, interacting with one another in unique ways, that have defined the office of Princeton University's president.

It has never been a self-sufficient office, even in its earliest incarnation, for presidents have always had to work in concert with the Board of Trustees and, as the latter's day-to-day involvement in the life of the institution lessened, with a corps of administrative officers as well. The will of the faculty, students, and alumni have also had an important impact on the power of presidents. Each of these groups has asserted itself at different points in history, from the rampaging students who helped to wreck the presidency of Samuel Stanhope Smith, to the faculty who agitated for Patton's removal, to the alumni who undermined Woodrow Wilson's initiatives concerning graduate education and undergraduate eating clubs. At times, however, power has been willingly shared, as the close partnership of James Carnahan and John Maclean, Jr., the College of New Jersey's ninth and tenth presidents, demonstrates.

Variety has also marked the length of presidential tenures. The combined service of Princeton University's first five presidents was under 20 years, thanks to stress and illness.

Carnahan, in contrast, headed the College of New Jersey for no fewer than 31 years, and four of the presidents represented here enjoyed tenures of between 20 and 30 years.

Familial and religious cohesion has given way to pluralism. Until Wilson assumed the presidency of Princeton University in 1902, the men who held this office were exclusively Presbyterian clergymen, and in two cases, family members succeeded one another: Burr by his father-in-law, Jonathan Edwards, and John Witherspoon by his son-in-law, Smith. It was not until 2001, however, that the gender barrier was broken with the election of Shirley Tilghman, Princeton University's first female president.

The contributions of Princeton University's presidents have varied with the times in which they lived and in proportion to their talents and resources. Their ranks have included statesmen of the stature of Witherspoon, the only clergyman to sign the Declaration of Independence, and Wilson, who guided the United States through the First World War. They have included accomplished educators like James McCosh, whose impact was likened to “an electric shock, instantaneous, paralyzing to the opposition, and stimulating to all who were not paralyzed.” They have included pioneers like Burr, who oversaw his institution's move from Newark to Princeton in 1756 and the erection of Nassau Hall. They have included gifted administrators like Dodds, who, notwithstanding the turmoil of the Great Depression and the Second World War, set a new standard of academic excellence and, as the development of the Woodrow Wilson School attests, gave his university a global outlook. And, inevitably, there were presidents who failed to sustain the burdens of their office: men like Smith, whose tenure was marred by a fire that gutted Nassau Hall in 1802 and student riots that led to mass suspensions in 1807. Indeed, Smith is one of four presidents who have been compelled to resign under pressure. The other three are Ashbel Green, Patton, and Wilson.

The series descriptions that follow provide individual profiles of Princeton University's first 15 presidents, as well as insights into the changing character of their office. As a whole they were an able group of leaders who successfully guided their institution through the social, political, and economic vagaries of two centuries. Though Latin and Greek have fallen from their position of curricular pre-eminence, though Nassau Hall is no longer the place where students study, eat, sleep, and worship, and though financial transactions are no longer entered in the president's own hand, the work of the presidents documented in this collection continues to bear fruit today. The names and tenures of these men are listed below:

President Tenure

Jonathan Dickinson 1747

Aaron Burr, Sr. 1748-1757

Jonathan Edwards 1758

Samuel Davies 1759-1761

Samuel Finley 1761-1766

John Witherspoon 1768-1794

Samuel Stanhope Smith 1795-1812

Ashbel Green 1812-1822

James Carnahan 1823-1854

John Maclean, Jr. 1854-1868

James McCosh 1868-1888

Francis Landey Patton 1888-1902

Woodrow Wilson 1902-1910

John Grier Hibben 1912-1932

Harold Willis Dodds 1933-1957

Source: From the finding aid for AC117

Biography and History

The selection of William Gordon Bowen GS'58 (1933-) as the University's seventeenth president surprised no one. He grew up in a small town near Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from Denison University, after serving as co-chairman of the student body, winning an Ohio Conference tennis championship, and earning Phi Beta Kappa. He came to Princeton in 1955 on a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship to study economics at the Graduate School, and earned his doctorate in 1958, just before his 25th birthday. He was immediately appointed assistant professor of economics and research associate in the Industrial Relations Section.

He quickly became a popular and highly respected professor. His research focused on the economic relationships between government, education, the arts, and labor. His publications included The Federal Government and Princeton University, a study of the role of federal funding and its consequences for Princeton; Economic Aspects of Education, a comparative study of university financing in the United Kingdom and the United States; Performing Arts: The Economic Dilemma with William J. Baumol, and The Economics of Labor Force Participation with Vanderbilt's T. Aldrich Finegan, a definitive study on minimum wage and unemployment.

In recognition of the "ever-mounting responsibilities a university president must shoulder," the Trustees established the position of provost-the second-highest ranking University official-in 1966. President Robert F. Goheen '40 chose Bowen as the University's second provost one year later. During his five-year term, Bowen was so closely identified with the respected Goheen that the students nicknamed the provost "Boheen." Bowen served on the committee that recommended coeducation and was widely assumed to be one of its most enthusiastic proponents. As provost, he guided the implementation of coeducation, from establishing admission policy and providing housing, to hiring female faculty and staff. He was credited with almost single-handedly balancing the University's budget while remaining popular in the University community.

When Goheen notified the Trustees that he would retire by the end of the 1971-1972 year, the University community expected Bowen to be named his successor. In November 1971, after a short but national search, the trustee search committee recommended Bowen to the full Board of Trustees. The November 30 Daily Princetonian reported that three other search groups-representing students, faculty, and staff-had each already declared Bowen their first choice. The Trustees approved Bowen's selection unanimously. Bowen was the first Princeton president who was neither a Presbyterian minister nor the son of one. In fact, he thought that religion ought to be a private matter (foreshadowing a cold relationship with the dean of the chapel). Despite the campus enthusiasm, both Goheen and Bowen wanted to reassure the community that the new president would take a human-not strictly economic-approach to campus administration. "As pressing as economic issues really are, they're not the most important ones for me now," stated Bowen at the press conference announcing his appointment. "Educational issues are." Bowen was formally installed June 30, 1972.

Racial integration and coeducation as well as unrest over the Vietnam War made the final years of Goheen's administration turbulent ones. In comparison, Bowen's presidency was calm. While the major decisions that led to racial integration and coeducation at Princeton had already been made, the University had yet to establish most support programs and policies intended to serve these new groups of students. In addition, the recruitment of racial minorities and women into the faculty and administration had barely begun.

Bowen and his administration remained loyal to the progressive new initiatives of the "Boheen" years, but he continued to face resistance from alumni. Despite the best efforts of the administration, alumni often saw a very different Princeton from the one they once attended. While many accepted racial integration as necessary to keep up with the times, they tended to be far more skeptical about coeducation, and were infuriated by any hint of cohabitation. A reactionary alumni organization called Concerned Alumni of Princeton (CAP) capitalized on widespread alumni disillusionment by establishing a publication entitled Prospect. In addition to coeducation and cohabitation, Prospect railed against Princeton's left-leaning faculty, sex education and reproductive health care on campus, and the University's acceptance of a student organization called the Gay Alliance. Depressed further by consistently bad performances in football, many alumni became unreceptive to the University's fundraising requests.

Through positive, thoughtful, and consistent public relations, however, Bowen managed to right this foundering relationship. He insisted on a personal reply to every letter, particularly from alumni. He responded to Prospect's most serious accusations both in Prospect itself and in the Princeton Alumni Weekly ( PAW). He increased his visits to alumni associations across the country and invited wealthy and influential alumni to participate in Princeton Today programs on campus. All of these efforts were enormously successful. By the early 1980s, alumni were once again supportive of Bowen and his administration, and CAP had lost much of its influence. Indeed, Prospect ceased publication in 1983.

This turnaround arrived just in time for the fundraising Campaign for Princeton, officially begun in 1981 (but in preparation since the late 1970s). After increasing the goal several times, the campaign raised a staggering $410 million, mostly from alumni. The campaign coincided with the establishment of the college system, which organized five colleges-Butler, Forbes, Mathey, Rockefeller, and Wilson-mostly out of existing dormitory complexes and dining halls. The primary purposes of the campaign, however, were to supplement the University's financial aid programs and to strengthen the faculty by increasing their salaries and the number of positions.

Perhaps the most controversial and tenacious issue that faced the Bowen administration was whether or not to withdraw University investments from companies doing business in South Africa. Proponents of divestment contended that withdrawal of economic support would pressure the South African government to abandon apartheid. From his tenure as provost to the end of his presidency, however, Bowen steadfastly defended Princeton's investment policies, arguing that divestment would hurt South African blacks rather than help them and that the University could not take a stand on politically controversial issues. Student opposition to an otherwise well-liked administration reached its most volatile point when students demonstrated against Princeton's investment policies in the late 1970s and again in the mid-1980s. Bowen temporarily diffused the situations by agreeing to meet with students in campus forums, holding discussions with student leaders, and addressing the issue in the Daily Princetonian.

Throughout his presidency, Bowen continued to play tennis on campus and periodically taught sections of Economics 101. In January 1987, Bowen announced his intention to leave Princeton a year later to assume leadership of the Mellon Foundation (once again replacing Robert F. Goheen). Joining Bowen would be Provost Neil Rudenstine, who agreed to become Mellon's vice president. As president of the Mellon Foundation, Bowen found time to author major works analyzing higher education policy, such as The Shape of the River (with Derek Bok, 1998), The Game of Life (with James Shulman, 2000), and Reclaiming the Game (with Sarah Levin, 2003). As of 2004, Bowen continues to direct the Mellon Foundation. Harold T. Shapiro GS'64 was installed as Princeton's eighteenth president January 8, 1988.

Source: From the finding aid for AC187

Biography and History

On December 8, 1956, the Board of Trustees of Princeton University unanimously elected Robert Francis Goheen to the presidency of Princeton University. At 37, Goheen, who was Assistant Professor of Classics at the time, was the youngest president in the history of the University since the eighteenth century. He was to replace the retiring Harold Willis Dodds, who had been president since 1933.

The election ended a one-and-a-half year search among the country's leaders in education. In the three years preceding his election, Goheen had served as director of the National Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Program. This program, established in Princeton in 1945 to encourage World War II veterans to pursue a career in teaching, had been operating on a national scale since 1952. The experience paved a career path for Goheen, who himself was one of the first recipients of the fellowship when he returned from War service in 1945.

Robert Francis (Bob) Goheen was born in India in August 1919, where his father was a Presbyterian medical missionary. He lived in India until he was fifteen, when he enrolled in the Lawrenceville School, graduating two years later. He entered Princeton University as a member of the class of 1940, and graduated with Highest Honors in the Humanities Program. After one year of graduate study with the Department of Classics, Goheen joined the Army in November 1941, five months after he married. He continued his graduate studies after the War, and was awarded an M.A. in 1947 and a Ph.D. in 1948. Following his doctorate, he was immediately appointed as an Instructor in the Department of Classics, and was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1950.

Goheen assumed office in July 1957. The fifteen years of his presidency span a period of immense growth and change. In a massive building program, funded by a vigorous capital gift campaign during the first years of his administration, some 25 buildings were added on the main campus alone, almost doubling the square footage of occupied space. The University's financial resources increased substantially as well. The faculty grew from under 500 to 700, which included an additional 20 endowed chairs, and the annual budget quadrupled from $20 to $80 million. The undergraduate enrollment increased by a third to almost 4,000 due to active recruitment among minority students and the admission of women students in 1969. In addition, the number of graduate students more than doubled.

The recruitment of minorities and the introduction of coeducation were only some of the ways in which the Goheen administration responded to the changing social and political climate of the 1960s. Among other measures, students were given more opportunities to be involved in the decision making processes on campus. In May 1969 the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) was established, in which students, faculty, alumni, and staff could discuss and make decisions about various University matters. Around the same time substantial changes were made to status of the Reserve Officers Trainings Corps (ROTC), subject of heated discussion on campus, particularly since the Vietnam War. Robert Goheen was one of thirty-seven University presidents who petitioned for an end to American military involvement in Indochina.

When Nixon announced the American Invasion into Cambodia on April 30, 1970, Princeton students moved to the forefront of the American anti-war movement. A call for a general “strike against war” was endorsed by a meeting of 4,000 students, faculty and staff members in the Jadwin Gym on May 4. At the same mass assembly the Princeton Movement for a New Congress (MNC) was created. While strikes and riots swept across American campuses, the student protests in Princeton and sit-ins at the Institute of Defense Analysis (IDA) remained peaceful. Although Goheen was heavily criticized by conservative alumni, it has been ascribed to his wisdom and flexibility that Princeton was able to avoid the turmoil and violence which occurred elsewhere.

After the summer a rearrangement of the academic calendar allowed students to campaign in the two weeks preceding the November 1970 congressional elections. The campus, however, had quieted down. Goheen announced his resignation on March 25, 1971. “I feel I have given Princeton what I have to give, that it deserves and will profit from fresh leadership to take it through the next ten to fifteen years,” said Goheen (Princeton Alumni Weekly, April 13, 1971). After retirement he became president of the Council on Foundations in 1972. In 1977 Goheen returned to his country of birth as the United States Ambassador to India, a post in which he remained until 1980. He became a senior fellow of the Woodrow Wilson School after his return.

Robert Goheen married Margaret M. Skelly in 1941, and they had six children.

Source: From the finding aid for AC193

Biography and History

The Pyne Honor Prize, established in 1922 in honor of Moses Taylor Pyne '77, is the highest distinction conferred on an undergraduate student at Princeton University. It is awarded annually on Alumni Day by the president to the student or students who demonstrate a high level of excellence in scholarship and who also most effectively support the mission and interests of the university. Notable winners include future president of the University Robert F. Goheen in 1940, and future United States senator Paul S. Sarbanes in 1954.

Source: From the finding aid for AC251

Biography and History

Harold Tafler Shapiro *64 was elected Princeton University's eighteenth president at a special meeting of the Board of Trustees on April 27, 1987. Like his predecessor William G. Bowen *58, Shapiro was no stranger to the Princeton University community, having distinguished himself at the Graduate School as a Harold Helm Fellow and a Harold Dodds Senior Fellow while earning a doctoral degree in economics from 1961-1964. The Princeton campus that Shapiro returned to, however, was radically different from that which he knew as a graduate student, having witnessed the advent of coeducation and the establishment of the residential college system during the interim years. Despite assuming office amidst the economic recession of the late 1980s, Shapiro managed to nearly quadruple the University's endowment as well as set into motion an ambitious building plan which indelibly changed the face of the campus and of academics and student life for years to come.

Born June 8, 1935 in Montreal, Canada, Shapiro received a Bachelor of Commerce degree (generally equivalent to the Bachelor of Business Administration degree more commonly offered in the United States) from Montreal's McGill University in 1956. Upon his graduation from McGill he earned that institution's prestigious Lieutenant Governor's medal, awarded to the student with the highest academic standing in a bachelor's degree program.

After five years at the helm of a family business, Shapiro applied for admission to Princeton's Graduate School and was admitted in the fall of 1961. As a graduate student he managed to earn his Ph.D. in three years, specializing in econometrics, mathematical economics, and the evolution of higher education. His dissertation The Canadian Monetary Sector: an Econometric Analysis was well-received, and immediately upon completion of his doctorate Shapiro accepted a faculty position in the University of Michigan's department of economics, where he soon became a popular professor noted for his skills in the classroom as well as his innovative research.

Though he was a professor at University of Michigan from 1964 to 1987, after 1977 Shapiro turned much of his attention to administrative duties following his appointments as Vice President for Academic Affairs and chairman of the Committee on Budget Administration. In 1980, in recognition of his sound budgetary policies and in the midst of a statewide economic recession, Shapiro was appointed president of the University. During his presidency, which lasted until December 1987, Shapiro demonstrated that he could with great success apply the economic principles he had tirelessly researched to the model of higher education, resulting in an increased campus budget and considerable progress on major construction projects at Michigan despite a relatively steady enrollment and conservative economic climate.

Harold Shapiro's prowess as a University president attracted attention nationwide, and by late 1987 he was reported to have turned down invitations from search committees at both Yale and the Institute for Advanced Study. Any desire to remain rooted at the University of Michigan dissipated however with the somewhat unexpected announcement by Princeton President William G. Bowen that he would be stepping down in short order to head the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Shapiro later conceded at the press conference to announce his election, "There is no other position in higher education that I would have been interested in."

The three-month search in the winter of 1987 for Bowen's successor was, by all accounts, shorter than anticipated. Trustee chairman James Henderson '56 attributed the brevity of the process to Shapiro's own clear aptitude for the position, stating that "Once we saw that we had such a strong consensus, we saw no merit in further delay, and the full board agreed yesterday unanimously." Shapiro was officially installed on January 8, 1988 as Princeton's 18th president, making him the University's first Jewish president and its first president drafted from outside of the ranks of the faculty in over 120 years.

For many involved with the administration of Princeton University, the arrival of Harold Shapiro brought something of an adjustment. The presidency of Shapiro's predecessor, William T. Bowen, was marked by an abnormally high level of firsthand participation in administrative affairs on the part of the president. Conversely, Shapiro's administrative style was more hands-off, and a fundamental aspect contributing to the eventual successes of his presidency would be his ability and his willingness to surround himself with the most capable advisors and staff.

Responses to this new leadership style were not warm at first and doubts about the future of the University under Shapiro were exacerbated by financial and social tumult on campus in the earliest stages of his presidency. In late 1988 Shapiro enacted a $6 million cut in operating expenses to compensate for two years of back-to-back deficits in the University budget. The responding uproar only quieted as it became apparent that other Ivy League schools with less financial foresight were paying the toll of recession and federal spending cuts with closed departments and shrinking faculty.

Beyond keeping the University afloat through the lean years of the early 1990s, Harold Shapiro's greatest financial success as president came in the form of the Anniversary Campaign, a fundraising effort launched on July 1, 1995 as part of the University's 250th Anniversary celebration. In the planning stages since 1993, the Anniversary Campaign was a volunteer effort targeting alumni, parents, and friends of the University, with an initial goal of raising $750 million over five years. All goals were surpassed however, and contributions from over 50,000 individuals translated into $1.14 billion, a record total for the University.

The effects of this massive fundraising effort were visible on campus almost immediately, as Shapiro set forth funneling contributions into a number of campus construction projects. Among these was the construction and renovation of the Scully Hall, Wright Hall, and Buyers Hall dormitories; the Princeton University Stadium, Weaver Stadium, Class of 1952 Stadium, and Shea Rowing Center athletic facilities; the Cotsen Children's Library; the University Chapel; and perhaps most visibly, the construction and opening of the Frist Campus Center, representing the realization of a vision for a central campus facility that had been essentially neglected since the presidency of Woodrow Wilson.

Campus building initiatives and capital improvements only accounted for roughly $137 million of the funds raised however, with a massive $621 million in unrestricted donations directed immediately towards scholarships, fellowships, and new academic research programs. The resulting benefits included broader financial aid policies for undergraduates, as well as newly endowed chairs and research opportunities in emerging fields for faculty and scholars.

Almost immediately after taking office, the sometimes reticent Shapiro was faced with several instances of campus unrest and turmoil which would have posed a challenge to even the gregarious, avuncular Bowen. In February of 1988, eating club initiations resulted in 36 visits to the infirmary by students, several with severe cases of alcohol poisoning. A series of continued alcohol-related incidents resulted in Shapiro's enactment of a ban on all keg beer at University engagements in the fall of 1991. The ban, which only lasted a semester, led many students to claim Shapiro was out of touch with their concerns and misunderstood the nature of the alcohol problem on campus. Particularly during the first half of his term complaints of aloofness and a general lack of communication on the part of the Office of the President were common among students.

In addition to alcohol, a second contentious campus issue throughout Shapiro's presidency was the administration's relations with minority groups on campus. The cancellation of an appearance by the Rev. Louis Farrakhan in February 1989 due to security concerns resulted in the staging of a sit-in at Nassau Hall. Later in 1992, as the nation watched the Los Angeles riots, students vented their complaints of racism on campus to President Shapiro, who in turn vowed to make the development of improved race relations a focal point of the remainder of his presidency. The first tangible result of his promise was a 1993 report on the issue assembled by Vice-Provost Ruth Simmons, who herself would go on to become the Ivy League's first African American president at Brown University in 2000.

Despite these early setbacks, by the time Harold Shapiro announced his intentions to resign at the close of the academic year on September 22, 2000, the very fabric of campus life had changed to result in a more welcoming, open community for all. Characteristic of Shapiro's concern for campus social issues throughout the latter half of his presidency were initiatives that created additional funding for campus gay and lesbian groups, as well as the banning of on-campus recruiting by companies and groups with discriminatory hiring practices, including the CIA and the United States Army.

Following his resignation, Shapiro took a one-year sabbatical to rest and lecture periodically before returning to full-time teaching at Princeton as a professor in the Department of Economics. He continues to live in Princeton with his wife Vivian, an authority in the field of social work, with whom he has four daughters. Throughout his career Shapiro has been active in the corporate world, holding seats on the boards of Dow Chemical, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and several other for-profit and non-profit organizations. Additionally he has acted as vice-chair of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology during the administration of President George H.W. Bush, and as chair of the National Bioethics Advisory Commission under President Bill Clinton. He was succeeded by Shirley M. Tilghman, who was installed as Princeton's 19th president on June 15, 2001.

Source: From the finding aid for AC264

Biography and History

Princeton University's Advisory Councils were instituted on a university-wide basis in 1941. Each advisory council is comprised of alumni and other individuals who act in an advisory capacity to the various academic departments through meetings with departmental faculty, administration, and the Alumni Council. While in their original incarnation the Advisory Councils were also responsible for completing a departmental self-study every three to five years, since 1980 that duty has been ceded to special ad hoc committees.

Source: From the finding aid for AC269

  • Annual Reports to the President. 1940-2015 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC068

    The President of the University is charged with the general supervision of the interests of the University and with special oversight of the departments of instruction. This collection consists of the collected reports to the President prepared annually by each academic department and administrative office.

  • Office of the President Records : Jonathan Dickinson to Harold W. Dodds Subgroup. 1746-1999 (inclusive), 1830-1869 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC117

    This collection contains records relating to Princeton University presidents from Jonathan Dickinson, who served in this capacity from 1746 to 1747, to Harold W. Dodds, whose tenure spanned the period from 1933 to 1957. It brings together both primary and secondary materials pertaining to individual presidents as well as the office of the president itself. The Princeton University Presidents' Records document the lives and accomplishments of each president with varying completeness, as well as the functions of their office.

  • Office of the President Records: William G. Bowen Subgroup. 1940-1998 (inclusive), 1972-1987 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC187

    The collection contains the files compiled by the Office of the President during the presidency of William G. Bowen GS'58 (July 1972 to January 1988). The files consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, speeches, publications, and other assorted material. Series 18 includes the files of three assistants to the president, biographical and photographic material about Bowen, and a card index of the files. There is some overlap between the files in this collection and the files of presidents Goheen and Shapiro. Records found here are sometimes duplicated in the records of other administrative offices on campus.

  • Office of the President Records: Robert F. Goheen Subgroup. 1924-1988 (inclusive), 1957-1972 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC193

    The records of the Office of President Goheen contain the files of the President's Office during the administration of President Robert F. Goheen (1957-1972). The collection contains eighteen series, which consist of correspondence and memoranda, reports, speeches, publications, and related materials, which were created or received by Robert Goheen and other members of the President's office.

  • Pyne Honor Prize Records. 1930-1969 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC251

    The Pyne Honor Prize, established in 1922 in honor of Moses Taylor Pyne '77, is the highest distinction conferred on an undergraduate student at Princeton University. The collection documents the annual awarding of the Pyne Honor Prize from 1939-1960. Within each year's file is correspondence, biographical and academic information about the recipients, and award statements.

  • Office of the President Records: Harold T. Shapiro Subgroup. 1939-2004 (inclusive), 1987-2001 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC264

    The Office of the President Records: Harold T. Shapiro contains the files generated and compiled by Princeton University's Office of the President during the administration of Harold Tafler Shapiro *64, the University's 18th president. The records consist of files pertaining to academic programs, campus building projects, fundraising, students, faculty, and staff and include correspondence, reports, speeches, and printed materials.

  • Office of the President Records: Harold T. Shapiro Subgroup. 1939-2004 (inclusive), 1987-2001 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC264

    The Office of the President Records: Harold T. Shapiro contains the files generated and compiled by Princeton University's Office of the President during the administration of Harold Tafler Shapiro *64, the University's 18th president. The records consist of files pertaining to academic programs, campus building projects, fundraising, students, faculty, and staff and include correspondence, reports, speeches, and printed materials.

  • Advisory Councils records. 1941-1942 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC269

    Each of Princeton's advisory councils is comprised of alumni and other individuals who act in an advisory capacity to the various academic departments through meetings with departmental faculty, administration, and the Alumni Council. The records consist of correspondence and member lists of the inaugural Advisory Councils of various departments.

  • Office of General Counsel Records. 1865-2016 (inclusive), 1971-1997 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC283

    The Office of General Counsel, established in 1972, provides legal counsel to officers and departments of the University, and serves as legal representative for the University in litigation, administrative matters, and transactions. The records contain correspondence, memoranda, interview transcripts, administrative material relating to the Office of General Counsel and other departments, legal documents, grant and tax reports, legal briefs, affidavits, depositions, as well as litigation material involving estates, trusts, gifts, University employees, and various individuals and corporations.