Biography and History

The President's Program was a fundraising drive initiated by Princeton President Harold W. Dodds in 1936. Targeting alumni, the program had an ultimate goal of raising over 7 million dollars, to be distributed across three major projects; the construction of a new library, the developement of the school of public and international affairs, and increased scholarship funds. The President's Program was overseen by a committee which reported directly to the President of the University, and in turn corresponded with regional representatives who would make personalized appeals to alumni in their districts. The President's Program was successful in accomplishing at least one of its goals, raising a substantial portion of the amount necessary to construct Firestone Library. The President's Program lasted until 1940, when it was eventually supplanted by other fundraising organizations such as the Princeton University Fund and the Office of Development.

Source: From the finding aid for AC210

  • President's Program Records. 1920-1961 (inclusive), 1935-1949 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC210

    The President's Program was a fundraising drive initiated by Princeton President Harold W. Dodds in 1936. Targeting alumni, the program had an ultimate goal of raising over 7 million dollars, to be distributed across three major projects; the construction of a new library, the developement of the school of public and international affairs, and increased scholarship funds. Consists of regional files containing correspondence with program representatives throughout the nation.