Biography and History

Princeton has participated in intercollegiate rowing contests since 1874. However, early victories were few and far between due to inadequate practice space. Until the construction of Lake Carnegie, all rowing took place on the crowded Delaware and Raritan canal, a body of water ill-suited for the sport. Following the completion of the lake in 1906, rowing was limited to practice and intrateam competition until 1911, when Princeton began hosting races. Lightweight rowing was introduced in 1920, and the first women's crew team competed in 1972. In late 2000 the C. Bernard Shea Rowing Center was dedicated, providing the men's and women's crew teams with a state of the art boathouse and training facility.

Source: From the finding aid for AC223

  • Princeton University Rowing Collection. 1874-2003 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC223

    Princeton has participated in intercollegiate rowing contests since 1874. The collection consists of photographs, memorabilia, scrapbooks, programs, correspondence and posters documenting the history of the Princeton University rowing program.