Biography and History

John Cleve Green was a Princeton-area businessman and investor who was a notable benefactor of Princeton College during the administration of President James McCosh. Though Green himself never attended Princeton or any other college, the school was frequently the target of his generous philanthropy. Among the college buildings Green subsidized wholly or in part were Dickinson Hall, Chancellor Green (named for his brother Henry Woodhull Green '1820), and the John C. Green School of Science. In addition to bricks and mortar Green also provided funds to underwrite programs in science and engineering, as well as several endowed professorships. Green died in 1875, and posthumously his estate provided for the construction of the college's first chemical laboratory (Aaron Burr Hall).

Source: From the finding aid for AC354

  • John Cleve Green Collection. 1866-1989 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC354

    John Cleve Green was a Princeton-area businessman and investor who was a notable benefactor of Princeton College primarily during the administration of President James McCosh. The John Cleve Green Collection consists of research materials compiled regarding the life of John Cleve Green and his contributions to Princeton University.

  • John Cleve Green Collection. 1866-1989 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC354

    John Cleve Green was a Princeton-area businessman and investor who was a notable benefactor of Princeton College primarily during the administration of President James McCosh. The John Cleve Green Collection consists of research materials compiled regarding the life of John Cleve Green and his contributions to Princeton University.

  • Green Family Collection. 1771-1969 (inclusive), 1810-1895 (bulk).

    Call Number: C0304

    The Green Family Collection consists of correspondence, documents, and printed matter of the Green family of Trenton and Mercer County, New Jersey, including Henry Woodhull Green (Princeton Class of 1820), his parents, Elizabeth and Caleb Green, his brother, John Cleve Green, and his son, Charles Ewing Green.