Biography and History

The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The department is also involved in the university’s real estate transactions and planning of future land and building use. The offices that comprise the Department of Facilities hire architects and contractors for building construction and renovation, maintain campus housing and university buildings, and oversee landscaping and grounds maintenance.

The department currently known as Facilities began in 1876 when the Board of Trustees established the Grounds and Buildings Committee. The enormous growth of the campus in the 20th century resulted in an increase in size and scope of the department. In 1964, the Grounds and Buildings Committee became the Department of Property and Physical Facilities. The new, larger department included all aspects of management, construction, maintenance, and acquisition of university-related lands and buildings. Though the organization and divisions of the department have changed over time, offices devoted to real estate, grounds and buildings, and physical planning have been a mainstay since 1964. The department was renamed twice more before becoming the Department of Facilities in 1983.

The bulk of the Department of Facilities materials included originated with John P. Moran. Moran began his career at Princeton as an administrative assistant in Grounds and Buildings. He later became the General Manager of Planning, Plant, and Properties ultimately becoming Vice President for Facilities in 1974.

Source: From the finding aid for AC041

  • Department of Facilities Records. 1803-2015 (inclusive), 1955-1981 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC041

    The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The Department of Facilities records document the daily activities of the department and its numerous divisions through blueprints, photographs, correspondence, memos, sketches, contracts, ledgers, tax returns, incorporation papers, by-laws, annual reports, financial statements, newspaper clippings, booklets, and meeting minutes.

  • Department of Facilities Records. 1803-2015 (inclusive), 1955-1981 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC041

    The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The Department of Facilities records document the daily activities of the department and its numerous divisions through blueprints, photographs, correspondence, memos, sketches, contracts, ledgers, tax returns, incorporation papers, by-laws, annual reports, financial statements, newspaper clippings, booklets, and meeting minutes.

  • Office of Physical Planning Records. 1869-1994 (inclusive), 1946-1994 (bulk).

    Call Number: AC154

    The Office of Physical Planning was the division of Princeton University's Department of Facilities charged with oversight of the construction of new buildings on campus and alterations to existing structures. The records consist of office files and architectural drawings in a variety of formats.