Morgan, Frederick, 1922--
Biography and History
The Hudson Review was co-founded in 1947 by Princeton graduates Frederick Morgan ’43, Joseph Bennett ’43, and William Arrowsmith ’45. Its first issue appeared in the spring of 1948 and included an essay by R. P. Blackmur and poetry by Wallace Stevens and E. E. Cummings. After William Arrowsmith left the magazine around 1960, and Joseph Bennett gave up his editorial activities in 1966, Frederick Morgan continued on as editor until his retirement in 1998. Paula Deitz, who joined The Hudson Review as an assistant editor in 1967, shared editing responsibilities with Morgan (they were married in 1969) until 1998 when she assumed editorship of the magazine. An influential quarterly that describes itself as a “magazine of literature and the arts,” The Hudson Review has published some the most eminent writers and critics of the twentieth century. In addition to its substantial record publishing in the fields of poetry, fiction, and literary criticism, The Hudson Review has published across a wide range of genres and subject areas including philosophy, cultural anthropology, travel writing, art and design criticism, memoir, the cultural essay, and music, film, theater, and dance reviewing. At the time of the writing of this finding aid, The Hudson Review is still in operation and continues to publish on a quarterly basis.
Biography of Frederick Morgan
Poet, critic, translator, and editor, [George] Frederick Morgan (1922-2004) was born in New York City on April 25, 1922. He received his education at St. Bernard’s School, New York City, St. Paul’s School, Concord, New Hampshire, and Princeton University, from which he graduated in 1943. While studying comparative literature at Princeton, Morgan was co-editor of the Nassau Literary Review (also known as the Nassau Lit, and took creative writing classes with Allen Tate and R. P. Blackmur. Tate, in particular, would remain an influential figure in Morgan’s artistic and intellectual life after Princeton. From 1943 to 1945 Morgan served in the Tank Destroyer Corps, U.S. Army, and was stationed mainly at Fort Hood, Texas. In 1947 he co-founded The Hudson Review, and continued to serve as editor of the magazine for fifty years, retiring in the spring of 1998. His first book of poetry, A Book of Change, was published in 1972 (Morgan was fifty years old) and received a National Book Award nomination. His last collection, The One Abiding, was published in 2003. He also edited two anthologies of work originally published in The Hudson Review, and his poetry and translations appeared in numerous magazines and literary periodicals. Morgan was married three times—to Constance Canfield, Rose Fillmore, and Paula Deitz—and had six children, all from his first marriage. In 1985 Morgan was made “Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres” by the French government, and in 2001 he was awarded the Aiken Taylor Award in Modern American Poetry. Frederick Morgan died on February 20, 2004.
Bibliography of Frederick Morgan
Source: From the finding aid for C1091
Call Number: C1091
Consists of the records of The Hudson Review, one of the most notable and influential American literary quarterlies of the post-World War II era. Reflecting the history of this New York City-based magazine, the bulk of material dates from 1947 to 2014. In addition, there are extensive personal and family papers of founding editor Frederick Morgan (1922-2004), who was also a published poet and translator.