Biography and History

Patrick J. Kelleher was the Director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1962-1973. In his tenure he oversaw the construction and dedication of a new museum building in 1966, as well as served on the comittee that oversaw the selection and installation of the Putnam Memorial Sculptures on campus.

Source: From the finding aid for AC243

Biography and History

Patrick Joseph Kelleher, born in 1917, was the much-loved director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1960 to 1972. During World War II, Kelleher headed the Greater Hesse Division of the monuments, fine arts, and archives section of the United States Army’s Office of Military Government for Germany, recovering and returning works of art in Europe. He was most notably in charge of the Holy Crown of Hungary during this time. Kelleher eventually moved to Princeton, where he supervised the first modern expansion of the University’s Art Museum. He passed away on June 16, 1985.

Source: From the finding aid for C0623

Occupations

  • Art historians -- New Jersey -- Princeton..
  • Patrick J. Kelleher Papers. 1942-1984 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC243

    Patrick J. Kelleher was the Director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1962-1973. Consists of correspondence, publications, notes, press releases, schedules, and photographs collected by Patrick J. Kelleher over the course of his directorship of the Princeton University Art Museum.

  • Patrick J. Kelleher Papers. 1942-1984 (inclusive).

    Call Number: AC243

    Patrick J. Kelleher was the Director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1962-1973. Consists of correspondence, publications, notes, press releases, schedules, and photographs collected by Patrick J. Kelleher over the course of his directorship of the Princeton University Art Museum.

  • Patrick J. Kelleher Papers. circa 1939-1981 (inclusive), 1960-1978 (bulk).

    Call Number: C0623

    Patrick Kelleher was director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1960 to 1972. His papers consist of articles, notes, photographs, and printed matter from Kelleher about the Holy Crown of Hungary. There is a smaller selection of correspondence with artists and colleagues about the direction of the Art Museum.