San Juan Pueblo (N.M.)
Biography and History
Europeans first visited San Juan Pueblo in 1541 during Coronado's expedition into the Southwest. In 1598 Juan de Oñate, colonizer of New Mexico, established his headquarters at San Juan. In 1680 the inhabitants participated in the Great Pueblo Revolt when the New Mexico pueblos, led by Popé, an exiled San Juan Indian, rose up against the oppressive policies of the Spanish. After the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish in 1692, a mission complex was built at the pueblo. Today San Juan Pueblo consists of parallel blocks of one- and two-story adobe houses, rectangular ceremonial kivas, a stone chapel, and a 1912 stone church with Gothic Revival elements built on the site of the earlier mission church. [from the National Park Service]
Source: From the finding aid for WC010
Call Number: WC010
Consists of a Tewa-speaking tribe's documents from the archive of the governor of San Juan Pueblo, New Mexico, including leases, operating accounts, financial statements, contracts, and notices.