Biography and History
Princeton Prospect Foundation, formerly Princeton Tower Fund, is an independent planning group focusing on bringing an educational element to the Princeton University Eating Clubs. These educational adaptations include the addition of study facilities, libraries, and better relations between the Eating Clubs and University Faculty.
The idea was originated in 1958 by James Newman, then the Chairman of the Graduate Inter-Club Council, made up of members of the Graduate Boards of the Eating Clubs that function as an advisory liaison between the Eating Clubs and the University. In 1959 the foundation was incorporated as a New Jersey non-profit corporation. In 1966 the name was changed from Princeton Tower Foundation to Princeton Prospect Foundation, in an effort to attract other Eating Clubs into the organization. As a member of the Princeton Prospect Foundation, Clubs receive tax-exempt status, since they become engaged in educational activities and no longer exist solely for the purpose of social activities.
The Princeton Prospect Foundation operates through tax deductible gifts which come mainly from the alumni of the respected clubs in the organization. These funds are used exclusively for educational purposes and scholarships for those financially needy students who are members in the clubs that belong to the organization.
Current members of the Princeton Prospect Foundation include Campus Club, Cap & Gown Club, Cloister Inn, Colonial Club, DEC Club, Quadrangle Club, Terrace Club, and Tower Club.
Source: From the finding aid for AC021
James Newman Collection on the Princeton University Eating Clubs. 1935-1992 (inclusive), 1958-1992 (bulk).
Call Number: AC021
This collection documents James Newman's efforts to establish the Princeton Prospect Foundation, a non-profit organization which adds an educational mission to the dining and social functions of the University Eating Clubs. James Newman proposed this plan via the Princeton Tower Club while he was chairman of the Graduate Inter-Club Council in 1958. The bulk of the collection includes correspondence and memorandum while Newman was president involving the Foundation and the Princeton Tower Club. Also included in the collection is correspondence with administrators at Princeton University concerning the Princeton University Eating Clubs, reports evaluating the role of the University Eating Clubs in undergraduate life, and material concerning Newman's work while chairman of the Graduate Inter-Club Council and his relations to the Council after his resignation.