Biography and History
The Ottoman Armenian brothers Vhichen (1820–1902), Hovsep (1830–1908) and Kevork Abdullah (1839–1918) operated a famed photographic studio in Istanbul from 1858 to 1900, when they sold the firm to Sébah and Joaillier. Known by their French name Abdullah frères (Abdullah brothers), they became official royal photographers to the Ottoman Sultan in 1863, and had the right to use the royal monogram. Between 1866 and 1895, they also had a branch studio in Cairo.
Source: From the finding aid for C0971
Call Number: C0905
Consists of an open collection of photographs of Istanbul [Constantinople] and surroundings, most of which are by the Istanbul photography firm of Abdullah Frères.
Call Number: C0971
Consists of an open collection of photographs by the Istanbul photography firm of Abdullah frères.