Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Collector Princeton University. Library. Special Collections Remove constraint Collector: Princeton University. Library. Special Collections Place Greece -- Antiquities -- Photographs. Remove constraint Place: Greece -- Antiquities -- Photographs.

Search Results

collection icon
Fratelli Alinari
Fratelli Alinari was an Italian firm founded in Florence in 1852 by the three Alinari brothers, Romualdo, Leopoldo, and Giuseppe. Fratelli Alinari became one of the largest and most prolific European photography firms of the 19th and 20th centuries. By 1880 the firm employed over 100 people. Alinari specialized in views of Italy and the reproduction of works of art. [http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/guides_bibliographies/photography_greece/photographers.html] Consists of an open collection of photographs by Fratelli Alinari depicting several sites in Greece.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Consists of an open collection for Chrousakē Maria photographs currently containing two prints (311x261mm.) of archaeological sites in Delphi, Greece.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Konstantinos Dimitriou (dates unknown) worked in Athens from ca. 1875 to 1900. He photographed towns, archaeological sites, and monuments, producing large-format pictures for the tourist trade. [http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/guides_bibliographies/photography_greece/photographers.html] Consists of an open collection for Dimitriou photographs of classical sites in Athens, including the Syntagma square, theTemple of Olympian Zeus, the Erechtheum, the Propylaea, the arch of Hadrian, the Acropolis, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, the Byzantine church of Saints Theodore, and two grave-markers. There is also an image of Piraeus signed by Dimitriou.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
James Robertson was one of the first prominent traveller-photographers to depict scenes of mid-nineteenth century Greece. Of Scottish descent, he has been identified as the engraver James Robertson, who worked in London around 1830. He first settled in Constantinople in 1841, where he spent forty years of his life working as a master engraver in the imperial mint. His photography career began in the early 1850's when he opened a photographer's studio in Peran, the European district of Constantinople. His photographs, which were immediately popular among the art lovers of his period, appeared in international exhibitions in Paris and London and were frequently reproduced in the leading periodical "The London Illustrated News". He died in 1888 in Yokohama. Robertson earned his place in the history of photography with his coverage of the Crimean war, and with his photographs of Constantinople and other historical Mediterranean sites, such as Athens, Malta, Damascus, Egypt and the Holy Land. A close study of his work in Athens reveals that he first visited the city in 1853-1854 and probably returned later with Felice Beato, another renowned, somewhat younger, photographer. The monuments of the Acropolis (Propylaea, Temple of Athena Nike, Parthenon, Erechtheum) and the city of Athens (Temple of Olympian Zeus, Tower of the Winds, Gate of Athena Archegetis, Lysicrates Monument) as well as the Temples of Poseidon in Sounion, Aphaia on the island of Aegina, and Apollo in Corinth were magnificently portrayed by his camera while contemporary Athens was only infrequently depicted or used as a setting for its ancient remains. Although he rarely photographed people in his early work, in later work he handled them with consummate skill as a means of alleviating the monotony of ancient ruins and as an allusion to contemporary paintings. (http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?id=1020101=en) Consists of an open collection of photographs of Robertson.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Early Photographs of Greece Collection is an open collection for general photographs of sites and subjects in Greece. Included are panoramic photographs of the Parthenon, Athens, and Smyrna, along with other photographs of Greece.