Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Genre Terms Correspondence. Remove constraint Genre Terms: Correspondence. Names University Archives Remove constraint Names: University Archives

Search Results

collection icon

Admission Office Records, 1854-2017 (mostly 1922-1998)
AC152
42 boxes 2 items 1 websites

online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Admission Office has determined who should be allowed to enroll as undergraduates at Princeton University since 1922. The actual composition and the desired composition of each class have been contentious campus issues since the introduction of selective admission. The debates over the value of recruiting and admitting alumni sons, war veterans, athletes, disadvantaged students (especially racial minorities), and women are reflected in the records of the Admission Office. This collection includes a number of reports and minutes, some of which are restricted, news clippings and releases about Princeton admission, historical materials, and a series of Admission Office publications.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
In January 1969, Princeton's trustees voted to make the undergraduate college coeducational, breaking the 224-year tradition of an all-male student body. The Patterson Committee, made up of faculty and administrators, had studied and advocated the change. The one dissenting voice on the committee was Arthur J. Horton '42, the university's director of development; he wrote a minority report and became a rallying point for those opposing the move. Horton's collection of materials on coeducation contains his annotated copy of the committee's report, his memoranda to the committee's chair and university administrators, official university releases and letters to alumni, and newspaper clippings regarding the change and campus issues in general. A quarter of the collection is letters from alumni, some welcoming coeducation but most strongly opposed.
collection icon
online icon
Association of Princeton Puerto Rican Alumni
The Association of Princeton Puerto Rican Alumni or APPRA was formed in September 1982 to assist in increasing the recruitment and admissions of Puerto Rican students to the university, and to encourage a thriving Puerto Rican community on campus. This collection consists of paper and digital records including: financial records, bylaws, recruitment material, and correspondence.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Benjamin Franklin Bunn Papers consist of financial, business and administrative records which Bunn maintained for many Princeton clubs and associations during his 50 years at Princeton University. The papers also contain correspondence with many Princeton and Phillips Exeter Academy classmates, Princeton administrators, and family members. The Triangle Club material contains letters from F. Scott Fitzgerald and notable members of stage and screen.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Bicentennial Celebration Committee.
The Princeton University Bicentennial Celebration was a year-long series of events that began on September 22, 1946 with a sermon delivered by Geoffrey Francis Fisher, Lord Archbishop of Canterbury, in the University Chapel and ended with an address by President Truman in front of Nassau Hall at the June 17, 1947 Concluding Bicentennial Convocation. The Bicentennial Celebration Records contain correspondence, writings, speeches, press-releases, pamphlets, reports, newspaper clippings, tickets, transcripts, watercolor and pencil sketches and various other materials documenting the 1946-1947 Princeton University Bicentennial Celebration.
collection icon

Brooks Bowman Papers, 1914-1971
AC165
11 boxes 2 items

online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Brooks Bowman '36 is best remembered as the composer of the songs "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" and "Love and a Dime." The Brooks Bowman Papers consist of correspondence and photographs that document his school years and his foray into the music industry. The bulk of the papers consist of Bowman's correspondence with his mother, sister, and numerous friends.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Educator and advocate of minority education Dr. Carl A. Fields, the first African American to hold a high-ranking position at an Ivy League school, was appointed Assistant Director of Student Aid and then Assistant Dean of the College at Princeton before serving in other leadership positions outside the University. The Carl A. Fields Papers consist of correspondence, reports, research material on race relations and minority education, handwritten notes, project proposals, and other papers that document his life and career.
collection icon
Princeton University. Chicano Press Organization.
The Chicano Press Organization was a student news group established at Princeton University in the late 1970s with the purpose to publish newsletters, open letters, articles, leaflets, and other publications pertaining to Chicano affairs at Princeton, at other Ivy League universities, and around the world. Founding officers of the Organization include Michael Montoya (Class of 1982) as President, Robert E. Barragan (Class of 1984) as Vice President, and Anthony Carrick (Class of 1984) as Secretary and Treasurer. The Chicano Press Organization Records are mainly comprised of the group's publications and newsletters Nuestros Voces and Sol del Este.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Committee on the Education of Women at Princeton.
The Committee on the Education of Women at Princeton Records contain the working papers and correspondence of Gardner Patterson, Committee Chair, and his assistants. In June 1967 the Board of Trustees charged the Committee with the study of "the advisability and feasibility" of enlarging the University's role in the education of women. The final report, "The Education of Women at Princeton," was submitted to the Trustees in July 1968. Adopting the recommendation of the Committee, they voted in favor of coeducation the following January and appointed an Ad-Hoc Committee to advise on how to implement their decision. The collection contains some papers Patterson received as a member of this Ad-Hoc Committee, and drafts of its final report, "The Education of Undergraduate Women at Princeton: An Examination of Coordinate Versus Coeducational Patterns."
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Council of the Princeton University Community.
The Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) was born out of the Special Committee on the Structure of the University established by President Robert F. Goheen in May 1968. CPUC is primarily a deliberative and consultative body, with the authority to "consider and investigate" university policy, governance, and any general issue related to the welfare of the University. Much of the work of the Council takes place through its standing committees: the Executive Committee, the Committee on Rights and Rules, the Committee on Governance, the Committee on Priorities, the Committee on Resources, and the Judicial Committee.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Cyrus Fogg Brackett Lectureship in Applied Engineering and Technology was established in memory of Professor Brackett in 1921 and continued until 1953. The collection contains many of the lectures–both in manuscript and published form–and correspondence with lecturers and potential lecturers. The collection also includes some general materials relating to the lectureship, such as citations, registries, histories, schedules, and short summaries of Professor Brackett's life and accomplishments.
collection icon

Davis International Center Records, 1982-2017
AC344
3 boxes 2 items 1 websites

online icon
Princeton University. Davis International Center.
The International Center at Princeton was founded in 1974 by a volunteer cohort of faculty, alumni, and community residents to welcome new international graduate students and visiting scholars to the University community. The collection documents the Center's programs and events, as well as international student associations and alumni groups.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Davis Spencer (1924-2005), a member of the Class of 1945, rowed on Princeton's freshman and varsity crews, and coached the 150-pound crew team that won the Royal Henley Regatta in 1948. The papers document Princeton's varsity 150-pound crew team as competitors and victors of the 1948 Royal Henley Regatta.
collection icon

Department of English Records, 1872-2017
AC134
34 boxes 1 websites

online icon
Princeton university, Department of English
The papers of Princeton University's English Department document the many varied aspects of one of Princeton's largest academic departments. With some writings that pre-date the Department's formal establishment in 1904, the collection includes faculty meeting and sub-committee minutes; faculty personnel papers and correspondence; the papers of many prominent faculty members, which include class lectures, syllabi, and original scholarship; records of departmental majors; student work; and scrapbooks of publicity and memorabilia about the Department, its faculty, staff, and students, both undergraduate and graduate.
collection icon

Department of Geosciences Records, 1845-2017
AC139
53 boxes 1 folder 1 websites

online icon
American Institute of Geonomy and Natural Resources
Established in 1904 as the Department of Geology, and later known as the Department of Geological and Geophysical Sciences, the Department of Geosciences has grown to become the center for the study of Earth, atmospheric, oceanographic, and environmental sciences at Princeton. The records document the department from its 19th-century origins to the recent past with departmental files, faculty files, faculty meeting minutes and visual materials.
collection icon
Princeton University. Dept. of Buildings and Grounds.
The Technical Correspondence Records, created by the Department of Grounds and Buildings, contain detailed information relating to the construction, maintenance, renovation, and demolition of buildings, and to the grounds and architects of Princeton University.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Papers of Frederick H. Osborn, Class of 1910, (1889-1981) cover some of Osborn's service to, and interest in, the University as a charter trustee from 1943-1955 and as a member of several advisory boards, including the Curriculum Committee and Psychology Department Council.
collection icon

General Manuscripts Collection, 1765-2016 (mostly 1836-2016)
AC001
1.25 linear feet 3 boxes 1 folder

Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The General Manuscripts Collection consists of manuscripts and small collections of papers and records which are related in some way to the history of Princeton University. While most documents in the General Manuscripts collection were produced by alumni or student organizations, there are several documents produced by trustees, faculty, and other members of the University community.
collection icon

Graduate School Records, 1870-2015 (mostly 1890-1995)
AC127
77 boxes 6511 digital files 1 websites

online icon
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
The Graduate School at Princeton offers masters and doctorate programs in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and engineering. The Graduate School Records consist of minutes, correspondence, reports, writings, applications, surveys, and memoranda, as well as forms, course listings, and information on examinations and fees.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Harry Zebulon O'Brien (1878-1907), from Clarksboro, New Jersey, was a member of the Class of 1899. The collection documents student life at Princeton just before the turn of the 20th century.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Hedges family produced three Princetonians in two generations: Benjamin van Doren Hedges (1866-1930, Princeton class of 1888) and his sons Benjamin van Doren Hedges (1907-1969, Princeton class of 1930) and Robert W. Hedges (1908-1950, Princeton class of 1931). This collection contains scrapbooks, to all three Hedges family Princetonians, as well as several other family members, including materials produced at Princeton and elsewhere.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Papers of Henry Burling Thompson, Class of 1877, (1857-1935) consist of some 500 loose pieces of correspondence (much of it incoming letters), eight letterpress copy books, and one scrapbook of printed matter relating to the Princeton Endowment Fund campaign of 1919-1920. The loose letters are dated from 1906 through 1913, and all of them pertain to Princeton matters. The eight copy books contain copies of Thompson's outgoing correspondence in about 4500 pages, about 1200 of which deal with Princeton.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Inspector's records consist of reports, receipts, vouchers, accounts and some correspondence concerning repairs to student rooms and other buildings. The receipts and vouchers are mainly from craftsman who conducted the repairs. Little information concerning individual students or their accounts can be found in these records. The position of Inspector was instituted in 1767 and apparently lasted until the mid-19th century at which time it merged into the Treasurer's Office.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
John "Judge" Cobb Cooper (1887-1967) was a Princeton University graduate and a pioneer in the field of Aerospace Law. The collection is composed of correspondence and other materials pertaining to Cooper's activities as Curator of Class Records and as an active member of the Friends of the Library and the Graduate Council.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The John D. Davies Collection on Hobey Baker, located in the University Archives, contains research materials gathered by Davies for the publication, The Legend of Hobey Baker (Little, Brown Company, 1966). These papers contain correspondence, research notes, manuscript drafts, photographs and printed material pertaining to Hobey A. H. Baker's career as an athlete at St. Paul's Preparatory School, at Princeton University, and as a member of the American Expeditionary Force during World War I. Baker died in an airplane crash in 1918.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Joseph Edward Raycroft was Princeton University's Chairman of the Department of Health and Physical Education. The Papers contain correspondence, writings, press-releases, reports, newspaper clippings, photographs, and memorabilia documenting Raycroft's personal life and career. Also included are library catalog lists and other material related to Raycrofts Library of memorabilia
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance.
The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance (LGBA), is the social and political organization for lesbian, gay, and bisexual students at Princeton University. The LGBA is the successor to the Gay Alliance of Princeton (GAP), Gay Women of Princeton (GWOP), the Lesbian and Bisexual Task Force (LBTF), and Gay and Lesbian Alliance of Princeton (GALAP). The records contain material regarding the LGBA's programs and its publications, as well as subject files assembled by the LGBA's officers and staff.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Marcus Lester Aaron was a member of the Class of 1920, the president of the Homer Laughlin China Company, and a member of the Rodef Shalom Congregation in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Marcus Lester Aaron Correspondence collection primarily contains letters written from Aaron to his parents in Pittsburgh during his four years as an undergraduate at Princeton University from October 9, 1916 to June 9, 1920.
collection icon

McCarter Theatre Records, 1922-2016
AC131
209 boxes 1 folder 6 items

online icon
McCarter Theatre Center (Princeton, N.J.)
The McCarter Theatre was conceived as a permanent home for the Princeton University Triangle Club. McCarter began as a booking theater but ultimately moved into producing its own performances. The McCarter Theatre records document the history of the McCarter Theatre, including administration, performances and productions, and the building itself.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Nadine Taub Collection of Sally Frank Court Documents chronicle Nadine Taub's role as co-counsel for Sally Frank, Princeton Class of 1980, in her thirteen-year legal battle after filing a sex discrimination complaint with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights against Ivy Club, Tiger Inn, University Cottage Club and Princeton University, alleging that the clubs discriminated against her because of her gender. A significant part of the collection contains legal documents from Sally Frank's co-counsel as well as from defending counsel; research material including minutes, reports, newspaper clippings, campus publications, correspondence, and deeds; correspondence to and from Nadine Taub and Sally Frank, which is restricted until 2016; and from various counsel and judicial members.
collection icon

Office of Dean of the Faculty Records, 1781-2016
AC118
157 boxes 1 folder 4 items 45 Volumes 444 digital files

online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Princeton University's dean of the faculty is the senior administrator responsible for the quality and well-being of the faculty and professional staffs of the university. In the past, the office has been responsible for matters ranging from student discipline to undergraduate academic life and the curriculum. This record group consists of the files of the faculty, the dean, the office, and its staff. In addition to the office's subject files, the collection includes the records of faculty meetings, faculty and University committees, and the personnel files of faculty, senior staff, and trustees.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
The Office of General Counsel, established in 1972, provides legal counsel to officers and departments of the University, and serves as legal representative for the University in litigation, administrative matters, and transactions. The records contain correspondence, memoranda, interview transcripts, administrative material relating to the Office of General Counsel and other departments, legal documents, grant and tax reports, legal briefs, affidavits, depositions, as well as litigation material involving estates, trusts, gifts, University employees, and various individuals and corporations.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Office of Information Technology oversees Princeton University's academic and administrative systems and the information technology infrastructure that supports them. It also provides information technology products and services for students, staff, faculty, and alumni of the University. The Office of Information Technology Records consists of paper records and electronic media related to the administration and implementation of information technology at Princeton University.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
This collection contains records relating to Princeton University presidents from Jonathan Dickinson, who served in this capacity from 1746 to 1747, to Harold W. Dodds, whose tenure spanned the period from 1933 to 1957. It brings together both primary and secondary materials pertaining to individual presidents as well as the office of the president itself. The Princeton University Presidents' Records document the lives and accomplishments of each president with varying completeness, as well as the functions of their office.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
The Office of the Provost record group contains the records created and compiled by the Princeton University Office of the Provost since its establishment in 1966. As of 2018, this collection includes the files of the second provost, William G. Bowen GS '58, through the tenth provost, Amy Gutmann, whose tenure ended in 2004. The files consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, notes, speeches, publications, and other assorted material.
collection icon

Office of the Vice President and Secretary Records, 1853-2017 (mostly 1901-1985)
AC190
180 boxes 1 folder 12 items 3533 digital files 1 websites

online icon
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
This collection chronicles the administrative responsibilities and activities of the secretaries of the University. Included are correspondence, memoranda, and notes concerning committee activities. Also included are press releases, discussions pertaining to trustee matters, scholarship information, and biographical files on honorary degree recipients.
collection icon

Phi Beta Kappa Records, 1896-1969
AC034
3 boxes 1 folder

Phi Beta Kappa. New Jersey Beta (Princeton University).
The Princeton University Phi Beta Kappa Records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes, and other materials relating to the administration, membership, and finances of this organization.
collection icon

Physics Department Records, 1909-2015
AC133
36 boxes 1 websites

online icon
Princeton University. Dept. of Physics.
The records of the Physics Department document the scientific and teaching activities of Princeton University physicists from 1909 to 1962. While routine activities such as the hiring of faculty and the education of graduate and undergraduate students are recorded, these records also detail the Department's activities in early studies of theoretical physics, as well as its participation in World War II research activities. There is also a small amount of material that documents Milton White's efforts toward builing the cyclotron (1936).
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Princeton Action for Chile (PAC) was a student organization established in October of 1976 following the assassination of Chilean diplomat Orlando Letelier in Washington, D.C. The collection consists of flyers, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and publications collected following the assassination that document resistance and responses to the Chilean junta under General Pinochet.
collection icon
Princeton University. Alumni Association of Princeton. Princeton Prize in Race Relations.
The Princeton Prize in Race Relations was established in 2003 by alumni volunteers to recognize and encourage high school students who have made efforts to improve racial harmony. The Princeton Prize in Race Relations Records consist of the files of the founder of the Princeton Prize, Henry Von Kohorn '66.
collection icon
online icon
American Whig-Cliosophic Society
The American Whig-Cliosophic Society (1941-present) is a literary, political and debating society which has had an important impact on the lives of generations of Princeton students. It provides students with both social alternatives and an opportunity to develop skills not emphasized by the University curriculum. The contents of the initial group of records were acquired between 1941 and 1993 in agreements between Princeton University and the American Whig-Cliosophic Society. The library initially cataloged some of these records into the P Collection. Subsequently, an attempt was made to organize some of these records in 1975.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
John Maclean, Jr. was a professor, vice president, and president of Princeton University. The Princeton University Archives John Maclean, Jr. Collection consists of letters to and from John Maclean regarding the history of the College of New Jersey as well as family matters.
collection icon
online icon
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections
The Princeton University Library Collection of Historical Subject Files, Grounds and Buildings contains information relating to the buildings, grounds, and architects of Princeton University. The collection also includes information on the development of the campus and the various chronologies of construction and land acquisition that have been gathered.
collection icon
Student Christian Association (Princeton University).
The Student Christian Association and its predecessors were the dominant religious organizations at Princeton University for almost a hundred and fifty years. The Philadelphian Society, founded by a small group of students in 1825, was the quasi-official campus religious agency by the beginning of the twentieth century. In 1930 the Student-Faculty Association (SFA), organized by the Dean of the Chapel, took over the Society's programs, focusing on community service. In 1946 the Student Christian Association (SCA) replaced both the Society and the SFA, coordinating both religious and community service activities in campus. The Student Volunteers Council succeeded the SCA in 1967.
collection icon
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
This collection contains a compilation of material relating to student activism and the student publication the Progressive Review. The collection highlights the student body's campus and international awareness and documents the left-of-center perspective held by the Progressive Review and numerous students.
collection icon
Robertson Foundation.
The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).