Princeton University Archives

Princeton University Archives

Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
(609) 258-6345

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Repository Princeton University Archives Remove constraint Repository: Princeton University Archives
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Historical Audiovisual Collection, 1912-2012 (mostly 1945-1996)

AC047
241 boxes
This collection contains more than 2,300 items, including film, videotapes, compact discs, audio cassette tapes, reel-to-reel tape, and record albums and covers a broad range of topics including classical music, alumni reunions, lectures, and interviews.

Scrapbook Collection, 1843-1954 (mostly 1860-1920)

AC026
337 boxes
This collection contains scrapbooks created by Princeton students which document their social and academic activities while undergraduates.

University Land Records, 1752-1992 (mostly 1752-1860)

AC028
10 boxes
The University Land Records consist of deeds, mortgages, bonds, other legal papers, and maps concerning the acquisition, disposition, or description of University properties. The records document the physical expansion of the University from its earliest period through the acquisition of large tracts of land in the 20th century, including the properties around Carnegie Lake and numerous farms. A portion of the papers relate to research conducted by Professor Gerald Breese for his book Princeton University Land, 1752-1984 (1986).

Steve M. Slaby Papers, 1903-1990 (mostly 1950-1980)

AC027
6 boxes
Steve M. Slaby, professor of engineering at Princeton, 1953-1991, served as the second (and final) chair of the Graphics and Engineering Drawing Department, 1962-1968. Slaby was also one of the University's few political activists, opposing U.S. involvement in Vietnam and University investment in South Africa, and promoting student and faculty liberties.

Roy Heath Class of 1954 Advisee Project Interviews, 1950-1979 (mostly 1950-1954)

AC004
19 boxes
Roy Heath was a member of the Princeton University class of 1939. He later served on the faculty as professor of psychology and was appointed director of a sweeping study of undergraduate education at Princeton, the results of which were published in The Reasonable Adventurer (1964). The collection comprises materials related to a study that Heath, a clinical psychologist, conducted on 36 members of the Class of 1954 during their years at Princeton.

Cliosophic Society Records, 1789-1941

AC016
89 boxes
The Cliosophic Society (1770-1941) was a political, literary, and debating society on the Princeton campus that played an important role in the development of the college and also the intellectual and social development of generations of Princeton students.

Alumni Association Records, 1826-2016

AC048
45 boxes
The Alumni Association of Nassau Hall, Princeton's first official organization of alumni, was founded on commencement day 1826. The collection consists primarily of administrative materials such as correspondence, meeting minutes, notebooks and reports belonging to both national and regional associations and their committees, most from the first half of the 20th century. Also contains newsletters, alumni directories, scrapbooks, reunion-related ephemera, photographs, and materials documenting reunions and alumni organization activities from the late 19th century forward.

Department of Facilities Records, 1803-2015 (mostly 1955-1981)

AC041
64 boxes
The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The Department of Facilities records document the daily activities of the department and its numerous divisions through blueprints, photographs, correspondence, memos, sketches, contracts, ledgers, tax returns, incorporation papers, by-laws, annual reports, financial statements, newspaper clippings, booklets, and meeting minutes.

Special Committee on Sponsored Research Records, 1965-1972 (mostly 1970-1971)

AC060
7 boxes
The Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) established the Special Committee on Sponsored Research (SCSR) in May 1970 to recommend policy regarding often conditional outside funding for research projects at the University. The committee was informally called the Kuhn Committee after its chairman, Professor Thomas S. Kuhn. The collection is comprised of materials collected and maintained by the chairman and his research assistant. Included are files intended for the committee's research purposes (Series 4 through 7), the chairman's personal committee files, a collection of reports and other committee output, and administrative documents and correspondence.

Princeton Music Collection, 1849-2009 (mostly 1894-1941)

AC056
14 boxes
This collection contains various songbooks printed for Princeton University including bound volumes and small booklets. Among the former is a nearly complete series of the Carmina Princetonia. There is also a second series dedicated to sheet music comprising various songs written for Princeton University, including many pieces written by alumni.

Department of Mathematics Oral History Project records, 1984-1985

AC057
2 boxes
Princeton University's Department of Mathematics, founded in 1904 under the chairmanship of Henry Burchard Fine, saw the development of a unique mathematical community in the 1930s that was unlike any other in America before that time and perhaps afterwards, and that had important consequences for American mathematics. The collection consists of written transcripts of 42 interviews with surviving faculty and students of the mathematics community in Princeton in the 1930s, as well as recordings of the interviews, microfilm of interview transcripts, background information on the project, and an archived website that was created in 1999 to provide online access to the interview transcripts and related information.
Top 3 results view all 50
File

Wylie, Shaun [Transcript no. 45], 1985 June 21

Wylie describes his background (his father was an Oxford don) and his education (Winchester, Oxford, and Princeton). He tells of the graduate program in mathematics at Princeton, and he talks about many of the faculty members, including Tracy Thomas, J.H.M. Wedderburn, Solomon Lefschetz, James Alexander, and especially Albert Tucker. Wylie tells of some things that went on at the Graduate College and in the common room of Fine Hall. The interviewer is Frederik Nebeker.

Orange Key Guide Service Records, 1953-2009

AC055
7 boxes
Orange Key is a volunteer student organization that provides campus tours. The collection consists of records that document the activities of the Orange Key Guide Service, including tour routes, lists of tour guides, guide selection information, subject files, training materials, and procedure manuals, as well as a card index of buildings, inscriptions, sculptures, and other physical gifts donated to the University assembled by Orange Key Office as a reference for campus tour guides.

Woodrow Wilson School Policy Seminar Papers, 1930-2018

AC103
96 boxes
The undergraduate Policy Seminar is one of the defining elements of the academic curriculum of Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. The records consist of the final reports, as well as some syllabi and course materials from the policy seminars and a short-lived graduate-level program from the 1960s.

Princeton University Archives Collection on the American Whig-Cliosophic Society, 1908-1999 (mostly 1928-1992)

AC023
26 boxes
The American Whig-Cliosophic Society (1941-present) is a literary, political and debating society which has had an important impact on the lives of generations of Princeton students. It provides students with both social alternatives and an opportunity to develop skills not emphasized by the University curriculum. The contents of the initial group of records were acquired between 1941 and 1993 in agreements between Princeton University and the American Whig-Cliosophic Society. The library initially cataloged some of these records into the P Collection. Subsequently, an attempt was made to organize some of these records in 1975.

Princeton Scientific Expeditions Collection, 1834-1995 (mostly 1834-1930)

AC012
26 boxes
The Princeton Scientific Expeditions Collection brings together original materials from the university archives that document the work of various scientific expeditions conducted under the aegis of Princeton University and its corporate predecessors. The connection with the university ranges from enterprises duly authorized in the trustees' minutes to expeditionary tasks that happen to have been carried out by members of the university faculty, often with little official notice of Princeton as an institution.
Top 3 results view all 371
Container

Road, undated

A road, covered in planks near the foreground, into an identified grasslands. Copy of original envelope has hand-written text that reads: " 525. Sinclair." Most likely taken on one of three Princeton student geological and paleontological expeditions to the Badlands led by Professor William J. Sinclair between 1920-1922.

Eating Clubs Records, 1874-2010

AC019
49 boxes
The Eating Club Records consist of manuscript and printed material from almost all the clubs. The records of individual eating clubs have been combined with material on Eating Clubs in general. This material includes correspondence, reports, minutes, financial statements, constitutions, and miscellaneous records. Printed material in the records consist of newspaper and magazine clippings, club membership books, and club histories.

Special Committee on the Structure of the University Records, 1967-1970 (mostly 1968-1969)

AC044
14 boxes
The 1960s was a tumultuous decade in the history of the United States. Prominent on a landscape of political assassinations, civil rights, and the fight for gender equality was the prolonged conflict in Vietnam. Although discontent was growing against the war in Southeast Asia, the largest and most vocal expression against America's involvement was compellingly articulated on college campuses throughout the nation. Author Thomas Powers notes that the war in Vietnam was, for America, "one of those things that come along once in a generation and call entire societies into question, forcing people to choose between irreconcilables." One of those irreconcilables, for the Princeton community of students and faculty, was their exclusion from university decisions that involved everything from university parietals to Princeton's association with the Institute for Defense Analysis (IDA). In response to student demonstrations and faculty protests, Princeton President Robert F. Goheen established the Committee on the Structure of the University to examine Princeton University's governance and explore how it could be more inclusive of the university community in making decisions. The Kelley Committee, as it came to be known, would be responsible for the introduction of perhaps the most sweeping administrative changes in the University's history and establishing the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC).

Department of History records, 1926-2017 (mostly 1926-1979)

AC049
13 boxes
From the time of the department's institution in 1924, history has typically been one of Princeton's most popular undergraduate concentrations, with the Department of History offering 40 or more undergraduate courses each year. The records consis of subject and faculty files, correspondence, departmental budgets, course syllabi, as well as records from several special projects.
Top 3 results view all 403
File

Completed Statistical Forms of 19th Century Princetoninans, undated

These boxes include biographical worksheets and research notes for a project to document all 19th Century Princetonians. The worksheets list biographical data for each member of the classes of 1811 through 1859, including status as a graduate or non-graduate, further education, occupation, and information about family members. The worksheets also list references from which the information was gathered.

Historical Postcard Collection, 1890-1960

AC045
5 boxes
The Historical Postcard Collection documents the buildings and environs of the Princeton University campus in the form of picture postcards. Featuring both monochrome and color postcards, the bulk of the collection ranges in date from 1900 through the 1960s. Many of the postcards have been digitized and are searchable through Digital PUL.

"Old Nassau" Collection, 1859-1989

AC051
3 boxes
This collection contains early scores and lyrics to Princeton University's alma mater "Old Nassau" as well as information about the song and the men who created it.

Theatre Intime Records, 1919-2011

AC022
95 boxes
The collection contains records of the Princeton University student-run theatre organization and includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, playbills, posters, scripts, designs, and promotional materials.

Historical Photograph Collection: Alumni Photographs series, 1748-1998

AC058
99 boxes
The Historical Photograph Collection: Alumni Series consists of formal portraits of Princeton University alumni arranged chronologically by class year.

Historical Photograph Collection, Lake Carnegie Construction Photographs, 1905-1907

AC065
30 boxes
The Lake Carnegie Construction Photographs of the Historical Photograph Collection contains 479 dry gelatin glass plate negatives measuring 5 x 7 inches that document the construction of Lake Carnegie in Princeton, NJ. There are also 314 black and white paper prints developed at approximately the same time the glass plate negatives were made, 38 amateur photographs, and the 36 original glass plate negative boxes. The negatives and prints date from circa 1905 to 1907, with the bulk dating from 1905 to 1906. As a part of this project, funded in part by the New Jersey Historical Commission, archival contact prints (5 x 7 inches) of each negative have been created for research use and photo duplication. In addition to the glass plate negatives, original prints, and contact prints made from these negatives, there are 38 photographs taken from March through May 1905, early in the project, before any construction work had begun. These are amateur photographs, most likely taken with a Kodak Brownie camera. While many of these images are faded and soiled with fingerprints, many of the subjects are identified in writing on the border or verso of the image. There are also 7 amateur photographs and two photograph albums of unknown or uncertain provenance.
Top 3 results view all 89
File

Below Aquaduct [a], undated

Includes shots of the Delaware Raritan Canal and tow path, excavation work along the Canal, excavation work with houses visible in background, shots of a bridge, and of the same bridge once it has begun to be torn down, steam powered tractor and horse-drawn equipment doing excavation, and a shot of the Canal with a wind mill in background.

Course Examinations Collection, 1833-1998 (mostly 1871-1967)

AC054
24 boxes
The course examinations collection consists of examination questions administered to applicants, undergraduates, and graduate students at Princeton University.

Chalmers W. Alexander Letters, 1928-1932

AC007
2 boxes
The Chalmers W. Alexander Letters contain correspondence from Chalmers Alexander (Princeton Class of 1932) to his mother during his attendance at Princeton University from 1928 to 1932. Approximately 500 letters were written during this time period; schedules, report cards, and church calendars are also included.

Historical Photograph Collection, Campus Life Series, 1850-2015

AC112
408 boxes
The Campus Life series contains photographs documenting aspects of life as experienced by students, faculty, and staff at Princeton University.

American Whig Society Records, 1785-1941

AC011
202 boxes
The American Whig Society (1769-1941) served as a major political, debating, and literary force both on the Princeton campus and throughout the nation. The Whig records consist primarily of minutes, financial records, and correspondence of members.

Princeton Alumni Publications, Inc. Editor's Records, 1895-1986

AC013
12 boxes
The PAW is successor to the Alumni Princetonian, a weekly publication of the Daily Princetonian. In 1919 the Princeton Printing Company dissolved and printing of the PAW was taken over by the Princeton University Press. The PAW was a weekly magazine during the school year until changing to its current bi-weekly format in 1977. The magazine is now published during the academic year for alumni and professional staff of the University.

Princeton Listening Center Records, 1939-1941

AC015
24 boxes
The Records of the Princeton Listening Center (1939-1941) consist of transcripts of Axis and Allied propaganda broadcasts monitored by the Listening Center staff from November 1939 through May 1941 until the operations of the Center were taken over by the Federal Communications Commission of the United States government. Also included are subject and research files of the organization, as well as reports published by the members.

General Manuscripts Collection, 1765-2016 (mostly 1836-2016)

AC001
1.25 linear feet
The General Manuscripts Collection consists of manuscripts and small collections of papers and records which are related in some way to the history of Princeton University. While most documents in the General Manuscripts collection were produced by alumni or student organizations, there are several documents produced by trustees, faculty, and other members of the University community.
Top 3 results view all 39

John and Robb Carson Letters, 1903-1908

AC017
1 box
This collection contains the personal letters of John Renshaw Carson (1886-1940) and his twin brother Joseph Robb Carson (1886-1953) to their parents in Sewickley, Pennsylvania. The Carson letters provide a first hand account of life at Princeton University in the early twentieth century. The bulk of the letters were written when John and Robb were undergraduates at Princeton (Class of 1907). The letters of 1903 to 1904 contain the most detail about student life at the university.

Department of Grounds and Buildings Technical Correspondence Records, 1866-1988 (mostly 1930-1949)

AC035
25 boxes
The Technical Correspondence Records, created by the Department of Grounds and Buildings, contain detailed information relating to the construction, maintenance, renovation, and demolition of buildings, and to the grounds and architects of Princeton University.

John D. Davies Collection on Hobey Baker, 1908-1997 (mostly 1908-1969)

AC005
6 boxes
The John D. Davies Collection on Hobey Baker, located in the University Archives, contains research materials gathered by Davies for the publication, The Legend of Hobey Baker (Little, Brown & Company, 1966). These papers contain correspondence, research notes, manuscript drafts, photographs and printed material pertaining to Hobey A. H. Baker's career as an athlete at St. Paul's Preparatory School, at Princeton University, and as a member of the American Expeditionary Force during World War I. Baker died in an airplane crash in 1918.

Society of the Claw Records, 1912-1940

AC036
1 box
The Society of the Claw Records describe the brief history of an organization created by the Class of 1894. Society members pledged to attend Princeton reunions annually, either for five-year periods or during their lifetimes. Members received a charm for their watch chains which included a genuine tiger claw to remind them of their pledge. The Society's principal long-term accomplishment was the proposal and subscription of the bronze stars placed on university dormitories in memory of World War I war dead.

Theodore Ziolkowski Papers, 1964-2001

AC402
4 boxes
Theodore Ziolkowski was a Princeton University professor in the departments of Modern Languages and Literatures and Comparative Literature from 1964 to 2001, and Dean of the Graduate School from 1979 to 1992. The papers include teaching-related materials such as research notes, lectures notes, course syllabi and examinations, as well as materials relating to Ziolkowski's governance of the Graduate School.

Student Academic Work Collection, 1862-2009

AC374
9 boxes
This collection consists of essays, notes on readings, laboratory notebooks, drawings and similar academic work products created by Princeton students.

Princeton Playgoers, Inc. records, 1941-1942

AC315
4 boxes
Princeton Playgoers, Inc. was a theater production company formed in 1942, during the wartime period when the engagements of Triangle Club were limited. The records consist of financial records, correspondence, records of ticket sales, advertisements, contracts, and other materials documenting the planning and production of plays at McCarter Theatre in the summer of 1942.

Donald Marsden Papers, 1960-1971

AC383
8 boxes
Donald A. Marsden was a member of the Princeton class of 1964, a Triangle Club alumnus, and author of the 1968 book The Long Kickline: A History of the Princeton Triangle Club. The collection consists of Marsden's materials related to his published history of the Triangle Club, The Long Kickline, as well as materials documenting his undergraduate experience at Princeton University, and research materials for an unpublished book on F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Princeton University Broadsheets Collection, 1770-1924

AC375
2 boxes
This collection comprises broadsides, posters and similar single-sided oversize printed objects created by or for Princeton University.

Princeton Artwork Collection, 1820-1990

AC376
9 boxes
This collection comprises paintings, drawings, prints, cartoons, and other original artwork and reproductions representing the Princeton campus, its dezinens, sporting and other events, and symbols of the school.

Kenneth S. Clark Papers, 1901-1950

AC311
9 boxes
Kenneth Sherman Clark was a member of the Princeton Class of 1905 and an active participant in Triangle Club during his time at Princeton. Consists of the personal papers and sheet music of Kenneth Sherman Clark spanning his time at Princeton as well as his later career.

Program in Continuing Education records, 1970-1988

AC275
3 boxes
The Office of Community and Regional Affairs oversees a variety of programs geared towards strengthening ties between the University and the surrounding communities, including a continuing education program for area residents. The records contain advertisements, faculty committee minutes, fundraising reports, statistics on attendance, director's files, and scholarship applications.

Lottery Records, 1749-1954 (mostly 1749-1772)

AC192
3 boxes
The collection consists of contemporary documents pertaining to five of the lotteries held in the eighteenth century to raise funds for the colonial College of New Jersey. Also included is some secondary source material about the lotteries.

Princeton Summer Theater Records, 1968-2008

AC295
4 boxes
Princeton Summer Theater was founded in 1968 by three members of Theatre Intime who sought to continue acting during the summer offseason. The collection consists of organizational records and promotional materials which document the activities of Princeton Summer Theater dating back to its inception as Summer Intime.

Robertson Foundation Records, 1959-2009

AC357
18 boxes
The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).

Firestone Library Architectural Drawings Collection, 1931-1963

AC411
4 boxes
R. B. O'Connor & W. H. Kilham, Jr. is the New York City architictural firm that was appointed in 1944 to design Princeton University's Firestone Library, which opened in 1948. The collection includes architectural drawings, plans and photographs of Firestone Library (1948) and the later addition of the John Foster Dulles Library of Diplomatic History (1962).

Elizabeth Benson Papers, 1966-2016

AC467
1 box
Elizabeth P. Benson is a curator and historian of Pre-Columbian art who has published and edited many works on the art of the ancient Americas. This small collection of Benson's papers contains material that reflects Benson's relationship with her friend and colleague Gillett G. Griffin, whose papers are also housed in the Princeton University Archives.

Triangle Club Board of Trustee Records, 1966-1992

AC368
4 boxes
The Triangle Club Board of Trustees, which is composed of Triangle Club alumni, was established in 1901 in order to promote the Club, enhance its reputation, make arrangements for the annual tour, and ensure a record of its activities. The collection documents the governance of the Triangle Club by its graduate Board of Trustees, particularly under the chairmanship of John Ball '52 (1973-1985), and includes bylaws, correspondence, reports and meeting agendas and minutes. The collection also includes minutes of the board of trustees meetings for 1983-1992 and 2006-2011.

Donald Worner Griffin Papers, 1924-1991

AC242
2 boxes
Donald Worner Griffin was a member of the Princeton class of 1923. Griffin was recognized frequently by University administration as being instrumental in revitalizing alumni ties in the years after World War II, as well as helping shape the modern state of Princeton alumni relations. Consists of the personal correspondence and clippings of Donald Worner Griffin.

The Princeton Tiger Records, 1920-1985

AC266
4 boxes
The Princeton Tiger is the nation's second oldest college humor magazine. The collection consists of the administrative records of The Princeton Tiger.