Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Date range Unknown Remove constraint Date range: Unknown
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

McCaddon Collection of the Barnum and Bailey Circus, 1871-1907 (mostly 1895-1905)

TC040 85 boxes 9 folders 14 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The McCaddon Collection of the Barnum and Bailey Circus consists of correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, and other material collected by business manager Joseph T. McCaddon prior to the 1907 merger of the circus with Ringling Bros.
Top 3 results view all 2092
File

Barnum and Bailey, Lalla Rookh, The Departure from Delhi (Crookston, ), Wednesday July 7

This series contains harmful and offensive descriptions of people that may include racist, colonialist, ableist, and dehumanizing language. Some of the description is original to the donor and/or the creator, and in these instances of creator- and donor-supplied titles, description may be retained to convey contextual/historical information of the materials. Otherwise, descriptions derive from a typewritten inventory of the collection that may have been provided by the donor, or may have been created by an archivist.
File

Series of Singalese masked devil dancers, undated

Many of the photographs in this series contain dehumanizing and harmful descriptions using racist, colonialist, and ableist language. In the majority of cases, the descriptions of people have been transcribed from the photographs themselves. Some of the photographs have been stamped with titles (likely by the original photographic studio); other titles are handwritten. In cases where photographs have no title, descriptions derive from a typewritten inventory of the collection that may have been provided by the donor, or may have been created by an archivist.
File

Unidentified man, woman, and boy, Ceylonese, undated

Many of the photographs in this series contain dehumanizing and harmful descriptions using racist, colonialist, and ableist language. In the majority of cases, the descriptions of people have been transcribed from the photographs themselves. Some of the photographs have been stamped with titles (likely by the original photographic studio); other titles are handwritten. In cases where photographs have no title, descriptions derive from a typewritten inventory of the collection that may have been provided by the donor, or may have been created by an archivist.

John Wild Autograph Collection, 1548-1904 (mostly 1800-1850)

C0047 2 boxes 2 items 36 Volumes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Consists of over 2,000 autograph items of prominent English and European figures from the 16th to the mid-19th centuries compiled by the English collector John Wild.

Bernard M. Dwork Papers, 1950-1992

C0983 10 boxes
Consists of a chronological series of 101 mathematical notebooks (1958-1997) of Princeton mathematician Bernard M. Dwork.

Hanna Fantova Collection of Albert Einstein, 1945-1958

C0703 2 boxes 1.5 linear feet
Consists of Hanna Fantova's collection of Albert Einstein material, as well as some of her own personal papers.

Alpheus Thomas Mason Papers, circa 1925-1979

MC177 30 boxes
Alpheus T. Mason taught in the Dept. of Politics at Princeton University beginning in 1925 and authored a number of legal works as well as biographies of Supreme Court justices Harlan Fiske Stone and Louis D. Brandeis. This collection consists of papers of Mason, including material relating Stone, Brandeis and Woodrow Wilson.

Office of the Executive Vice President Records, 1964-2017 (mostly 1964-1989)

AC271 28 boxes 6 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of the Executive Vice President was created by the Board of Trustees in 2005 to administer several existing offices, including campus life, human resources, public safety, and facilities among others. The records consist primarily of correspondence documenting the office's interactions with other administrative offices, academic departments, and advisory councils.

Office of Development Records, 1917-2016

AC244 29 boxes 2 Volumes
The Office of Development is the centralized administrative unit which oversees Princeton University's many fundraising programs, including Annual Giving, the 1746 Society, Endowment Gifts, Bequests, and more. Consists of files of the Princeton University Office of Development pertaining to several major fundraising campaigns including the 1919 Endowment Campaign and the "53 Million Campaign".

WPRB Records, 1939-2019

AC306 18 boxes 4 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
WPRB is the student-operated FM radio station of Princeton University, providing music and live sports broadcasts to the Princeton campus community and surrounding areas. The records consist of various materials which document the origins and development of WPRB, including constitutions, by-laws, photographs, membership lists, clipped articles, board minutes, correspondence, and financial reports.

Alumni Studies Program Records, 1981-2006

AC258 13 boxes
The Alumni Council was formed in 1909 as the Graduate Council to provide leadership for alumni activity. Consists of recordings -- mostly audiocassettes, compact discs and VHS tapes -- of lecture courses from the Class of 1942 seminars and other Alumni Studies courses, as well as a small amount of printed material to supplement the lectures.

Office of General Counsel Records, 1865-2016 (mostly 1971-1997)

AC283 343 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of General Counsel, established in 1972, provides legal counsel to officers and departments of the University, and serves as legal representative for the University in litigation, administrative matters, and transactions. The records contain correspondence, memoranda, interview transcripts, administrative material relating to the Office of General Counsel and other departments, legal documents, grant and tax reports, legal briefs, affidavits, depositions, as well as litigation material involving estates, trusts, gifts, University employees, and various individuals and corporations.

Daily Princetonian General records, 1876-2023

AC285 6 boxes 6 items 594 digital files 6 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Daily Princetonian is the newspaper of Princeton University. The records consist of subject files from the editorial offices of The Prince covering topics such as awards, events, journalism seminars, and by-laws of the paper, as well as booklets published by the Daily Princetonian corporation.

Princeton: A Search For Answers outtakes collection, 1973-1974

AC284 23 boxes 28 items
Princeton: A Search for Answers is a 1973 recruiting film produced for the Princeton University Undergraduate Admissions Office by Julian Krainin and DeWitt Sage. The collection consists of outtakes and film trims created during the editing process for Princeton: A Search for Answers, as well as a small number of documents related to the making of the film.

Daily Princetonian Photographs Collection, 1967-2004

AC286 34 boxes 24856 digital files
The Daily Princetonian is the independent student newspaper of Princeton University. This collection consists of images created for use in the Daily Princetonian, both published and unpublished.

Music Performance at Princeton Collection, 1875-2007

AC205 11 boxes 1 folder
Concerts and recitals by Princeton University's many musical clubs and organizations, as well as performers from outside the University have been standard fare on capus since the 19th century. The collection consists of reports, concert programs, posters, articles, schedules, flyers, correspondence, and photographs pertaining to performances of music on the Princeton University campus and performances elsewhere by University-affiliated groups.

Princeton Football Films Collection, 1935-2012 (mostly 1935-1990)

AC297 1 box 2858 items
Princeton University was a participant in the first intercollegiate football game in America in 1869. Since then, the University has maintained a varsity football team, competing each season against other colleges in the Ivy League Athletic Conference, including traditional rival Yale. The collection consists of film reels documenting Princeton varsity football games between 1935 and 1990, as well as video of the 2012 season.

Women's Center Records, 1968-2017

AC248 18 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton University Women's Center is a campus organization dedicated to providing a forum through which female students can voice their feelings and concerns about student life. The Women's Center also oversees the organization of programming and outreach activities which touch on a broad spectrum of women's issues. The records contain correspondence, subject files, and materials related to events and programs sponsored by the Women's Center.

Undergraduate Alumni Records, 1921-2008

AC199 801 boxes 2 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Consists of individual files of former undergraduate students of Princeton University, compiled by the Bureau of Alumni Information. Material in each file varies greatly but most include the names of relatives, notable achievements at Princeton and post-graduation, news items, address updates, and obituaries.

Department of French and Italian Records, 1909-2019

AC219 11 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Department of French and Italian as it exists today at Princeton University originated in 1958 when the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures was split into the separate departments of Romance and Germanic Languages and Literatures. Consists of the records of the contemporary Department of French and Italian, collected while it was operating as the Department of Modern Languages and later the Department of Romance Languages and Literature.

Princeton-Pennsylvania Accelerator records, 1963-1971

AC230 16 boxes
The Office of Occupational Health and Safety is charged with general oversight of the university health and safety effort and with assisting University departments and offices in discharging their health and safety responsibilities. The records consist of proposals and surveys compiled by the Office of Occupational Health and Safety in regards to radiation safety measures taken to protect workers and researchers at the Princeton-Pennsylvania Accelerator, a particle research facility that operated on Forrestal Campus from 1957 to 1971.

Arthur Cort Holden Papers, 1940-1993

AC246 8 boxes
Arthur Cort Holden was a member of the Princeton University Class of 1912. He went on to earn a graduate degree in architecture from Cornell University, and joined the New York City firm of McKim, Mead, and White, later forming his own firm and advising Frank Lloyd Wright on the design of the Guggenheim Museum in 1949. Consists of personal papers and correspondence of Arthur Cort Holden.

John Rupert Martin Papers, 1950-1999

AC204 4 boxes 2 items
John R. Martin was a professor of Art History at Princeton University for 40 years, joining the faculty as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow in 1947. Consists of Martin's correspondence and his handwritten lecture notes from courses taught as well as his lecture appointments at other institutions.

President's Standing Committee on the Status of Women Records, 1989-2001

AC255 6 boxes 2 items
The President's Standing Committee on the Status of Women was established in 1989 by president Harold Shapiro. Consists of the records of the committee including correspondence, meeting minutes, memos, subject files, and the records of the seperate task forces that have operated under the auspices of the committee.

Program in Latin American Studies Records, 1947-2017

AC249 10 boxes 2 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Princeton University's Program in Latin American Studies was founded in 1966 as an interdisciplinary course of study to supplement the regular undergraduate or graduate curriculum. Consists of publications, event information, videos of conferences, and other informational materials about the Program in Latin American Studies.

Patrick J. Kelleher Papers, 1942-1984

AC243 3 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Patrick J. Kelleher was the Director of the Princeton University Art Museum from 1962-1973. Consists of correspondence, publications, notes, press releases, schedules, and photographs collected by Patrick J. Kelleher over the course of his directorship of the Princeton University Art Museum.

Princeton University Federal Credit Union Records, 1970-1981

AC250 2 boxes
The Princeton University Federal Credit Union is a non-profit member-owned credit union open to employees of Princeton University and several other related organizations. Consists of the organizational records of the Princeton University Federal Credit Union including meeting minutes, financial audits, memos, policies, and committee reports.

Office of the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer Records, 1930-2017 (mostly 1972-1997)

AC233 87 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer is the administrative office at Princeton University responsible for overseeing the university's budget, procurement services, tax compliance, risk management, and other general, non-investment related fiduciary responsibilities. The records in this collection primarily document the activities of three consecutive administrators who held the position of vice president for finance, either solely or in combination with the roles of treasurer and vice president for administration: Paul B. Firstenberg (1972-1976), Carl W. Schafer (1976-1987), and Richard R. Spies (1988-2001). Also included are the records of Laurel B. Harvey, who served as assistant vice president for finance and administration under Schafer and Spies.

Woodrow Wilson Foundation Records, 1888-1987 (mostly 1921-1963)

AC203 80 boxes 1 folder
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Woodrow Wilson Foundation was an organization formed in 1921 in New York City for the "perpetuation of Wilson's ideals" through research grants and publications. The collection consists of the administrative records of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, the bulk of which are financial records, correspondence, notes, committee minutes, press releases, research proposals, and awards dating from 1921-1963. The collection also includes a small amount of audivisual material, photographs and sound recordings.

Historical Photograph Collection: Glass-Plate Negatives Series, 1880-1920

AC317 148 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Consists of approximately 2,180 glass plate negatives and prints. Topics most heavily represented within the collection include Princeton University buildings and grounds, and athletics.

Office of the Vice President for Public Affairs Records, 1924-2016 (mostly 1971-1994)

AC217 18 boxes 2 items 33 digital files
Princeton University's Vice President for Public Affairs has administrative oversight, under the President, of the presentation of the objectives and activities of the University to all its various publics, and serves as spokesperson for the University when needed. The records of the Vice President for Public Affairs consist of subject files assembled on topics relevant to the office's activities, as well as chronological files containing correspondence and interoffice memoranda.

University Chapel Stained Glass Windows Restoration records, 1999-2001

AC231 76 boxes
The Office of Physical Planning is one of several branches that together comprise the University's Department of Facilities. Consists of architectural surveys of the University Chapel with details of the window bays and the exterior facade, as well as photographs, slides, and microfilm documenting the work done on each window and sculpture during the 2000-2001 restoration, and day logs recording daily progress.

Princeton University Rowing Collection, 1874-2003

AC223 27 boxes 1 folder
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Princeton has participated in intercollegiate rowing contests since 1874. The collection consists of photographs, memorabilia, scrapbooks, programs, correspondence and posters documenting the history of the Princeton University rowing program.

Office of Human Resources Records, 1951-1983

AC228 5 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Princeton University's Office of Human Resources was formed in 1952 under the title of the Office of Personnel Services to provide a centralized administrative unit with oversight for the institution's growing number of non-academic staff. The records include policy and procedure manuals, employment studies, administrative salary reviews, pension plan reports, and information on the University's unemployment policy.

Student Correspondence and Writings Collection, 1768-2020

AC334 19 boxes 4 digital files
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Student Correspondence and Writings Collection contains original materials from the university archives that document aspects of student life as experienced by students at Princeton University.

Woodrow Wilson School Policy Seminar Papers, 1930-2018

AC103 96 boxes 1 item 662 Volumes
The undergraduate Policy Seminar is one of the defining elements of the academic curriculum of Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. The records consist of the final reports, as well as some syllabi and course materials from the policy seminars and a short-lived graduate-level program from the 1960s.

Historical Photograph Collection: Alumni Photographs series, 1748-1998

AC058 99 boxes 1 folder 2 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Historical Photograph Collection: Alumni Series consists of formal portraits of Princeton University alumni arranged chronologically by class year.

Historical Photograph Collection: Individuals series, 1861-1993

AC067 139 boxes 1 folder 1 item
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Historical Photograph Collection: Individuals series consists of photographs of faculty, administration, trustees, staff, students, and notable visitors to Princeton University.

Princeton University Architectural Presentation Boards, 1929-2005 (mostly 1971-2001)

AC062 1 folder 726 items
This collection contains presentation boards related to the design, construction, renovation and expansion of Princeton's grounds and buildings. In addition, the boards include those used for planning purposes, student housing strategies, insurance purposes and recording of features such as fallout shelters, and electrical feeders. The boards primarily include floorplans, artistic renderings, elevations and campus footprints.

Historical Photograph Collection, Student Photograph Albums, 1851-1995 (mostly 1860-1920)

AC061 209 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Student Photograph Albums Series of the Historical Photograph Collection (HPC) contains 180 photographic albums created by Princeton University students. These albums, along with the other photograph collections in the University Archives, help document the experiences of students, faculty, and staff at Princeton University. The albums date from 1851 to 1995, although the bulk date from the 1860s to the 1910s. New accessions are added regularly to the collection.

Historical Photograph Collection, Lake Carnegie Construction Photographs, circa 1905-1907

AC065 30 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Lake Carnegie Construction Photographs of the Historical Photograph Collection contains 479 dry gelatin glass plate negatives measuring 5 x 7 inches that document the construction of Lake Carnegie in Princeton, NJ. There are also 314 black and white paper prints developed at approximately the same time the glass plate negatives were made, 38 amateur photographs, and the 36 original glass plate negative boxes. The negatives and prints date from circa 1905 to 1907, with the bulk dating from 1905 to 1906. As a part of this project, funded in part by the New Jersey Historical Commission, archival contact prints (5 x 7 inches) of each negative have been created for research use and photo duplication. In addition to the glass plate negatives, original prints, and contact prints made from these negatives, there are 38 photographs taken from March through May 1905, early in the project, before any construction work had begun. These are amateur photographs, most likely taken with a Kodak Brownie camera. While many of these images are faded and soiled with fingerprints, many of the subjects are identified in writing on the border or verso of the image. There are also 7 amateur photographs and two photograph albums of unknown or uncertain provenance.
Top 3 results view all 84
File

Below Aquaduct [a], undated

Includes shots of the Delaware Raritan Canal and tow path, excavation work along the Canal, excavation work with houses visible in background, shots of a bridge, and of the same bridge once it has begun to be torn down, steam powered tractor and horse-drawn equipment doing excavation, and a shot of the Canal with a wind mill in background.

Chalmers W. Alexander Letters, 1928-1932

AC007 2 boxes
The Chalmers W. Alexander Letters contain correspondence from Chalmers Alexander (Princeton Class of 1932) to his mother during his attendance at Princeton University from 1928 to 1932. Approximately 500 letters were written during this time period; schedules, report cards, and church calendars are also included.

Charles E. Fehon Papers, circa 1947-1950

AC384 5 boxes
Consists primarily of original artwork created by Charles E. Fehon, Princeton Class of 1950, during the process of designing sets and costumes for Princeton theater groups including Theatre Intime, University Players, and the Triangle Club.

Princeton Playgoers, Inc. records, 1941-1942

AC315 4 boxes
Princeton Playgoers, Inc. was a theater production company formed in 1942, during the wartime period when the engagements of Triangle Club were limited. The records consist of financial records, correspondence, records of ticket sales, advertisements, contracts, and other materials documenting the planning and production of plays at McCarter Theatre in the summer of 1942.

Student Academic Work Collection, 1862-2009

AC374 9 boxes 1 folder
This collection consists of essays, notes on readings, laboratory notebooks, drawings and similar academic work products created by Princeton students.

Donald Marsden Papers, circa 1960-1971

AC383 8 boxes
Donald A. Marsden was a member of the Princeton class of 1964, a Triangle Club alumnus, and author of the 1968 book The Long Kickline: A History of the Princeton Triangle Club. The collection consists of Marsden's materials related to his published history of the Triangle Club, The Long Kickline, as well as materials documenting his undergraduate experience at Princeton University, and research materials for an unpublished book on F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Princeton Summer Theater Records, 1968-2008

AC295 4 boxes
Princeton Summer Theater was founded in 1968 by three members of Theatre Intime who sought to continue acting during the summer offseason. The collection consists of organizational records and promotional materials which document the activities of Princeton Summer Theater dating back to its inception as Summer Intime.

Robertson Foundation Records, 1959-2009

AC357 18 boxes 2 items
The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).

Donald Worner Griffin Papers, 1924-1991

AC242 2 boxes
Donald Worner Griffin was a member of the Princeton class of 1923. Griffin was recognized frequently by University administration as being instrumental in revitalizing alumni ties in the years after World War II, as well as helping shape the modern state of Princeton alumni relations. Consists of the personal correspondence and clippings of Donald Worner Griffin.

Elizabeth Benson Papers, 1966-2016

AC467 1 box
Elizabeth P. Benson is a curator and historian of Pre-Columbian art who has published and edited many works on the art of the ancient Americas. This small collection of Benson's papers contains material that reflects Benson's relationship with her friend and colleague Gillett G. Griffin, whose papers are also housed in the Princeton University Archives.

Holland Donan, Class of 1951, Papers, 1952-1994

AC390 2 boxes
Holland "Hollie" Donan, class of 1951, played defensive tackle for the Princeton Tigers from 1948-1950. Collection consists of newspaper clippings, correspondence, and photographs relating to Donan's football career at Princeton and his 1984 induction into the National Football Hall of Fame.

James Penrose Harland papers, 1906-1969

AC239 3 boxes
James Penrose Harland was a graduate of the Princeton University Class of 1913. The collection consists of James Penrose Harland's diaries, as well as clippings, photographs, postcards, and some correspondence.

Princeton and Slavery Project Records, 2013-2017

AC422 2 boxes 4 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton and Slavery Project Records include materials created and compiled by students in the Spring and Fall of 2013 in the course Princeton and Slavery, HIST 402, as well as materials from the Princeton and Slavery Project that emerged from the course--in particular, the Princeton and Slavery Project Symposium of November, 2017.

Theodore Ziolkowski Papers, 1964-2001

AC402 4 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Theodore Ziolkowski was a Princeton University professor in the departments of Modern Languages and Literatures and Comparative Literature from 1964 to 2001, and Dean of the Graduate School from 1979 to 1992. The papers include teaching-related materials such as research notes, lectures notes, course syllabi and examinations, as well as materials relating to Ziolkowski's governance of the Graduate School.

Princeton Artwork Collection, circa 1820-1990

AC376 9 boxes 3 folders
This collection comprises paintings, drawings, prints, cartoons, and other original artwork and reproductions representing the Princeton campus, its dezinens, sporting and other events, and symbols of the school.

Kenneth S. Clark Papers, 1901-1950

AC311 9 boxes
Kenneth Sherman Clark was a member of the Princeton Class of 1905 and an active participant in Triangle Club during his time at Princeton. Consists of the personal papers and sheet music of Kenneth Sherman Clark spanning his time at Princeton as well as his later career.

Princeton University Broadsheets Collection, circa 1807-1983

AC375 2 boxes 1 folder
This collection comprises broadsides, posters and similar single-sided oversize printed objects created by or for Princeton University.

Program in Continuing Education records, 1970-1988

AC275 3 boxes
The Office of Community and Regional Affairs oversees a variety of programs geared towards strengthening ties between the University and the surrounding communities, including a continuing education program for area residents. The records contain advertisements, faculty committee minutes, fundraising reports, statistics on attendance, director's files, and scholarship applications.

Lottery Records, 1749-1954 (mostly 1749-1772)

AC192 3 boxes
The collection consists of contemporary documents pertaining to five of the lotteries held in the eighteenth century to raise funds for the colonial College of New Jersey. Also included is some secondary source material about the lotteries.

Firestone Library Architectural Drawings Collection, 1931-1963

AC411 4 boxes 1 folder
R. B. O'Connor & W. H. Kilham, Jr. is the New York City architictural firm that was appointed in 1944 to design Princeton University's Firestone Library, which opened in 1948. The collection includes architectural drawings, plans and photographs of Firestone Library (1948) and the later addition of the John Foster Dulles Library of Diplomatic History (1962).

Triangle Club Board of Trustee Records, circa 1966-1992, 2006-2011

AC368 4 boxes 2 items
The Triangle Club Board of Trustees, which is composed of Triangle Club alumni, was established in 1901 in order to promote the Club, enhance its reputation, make arrangements for the annual tour, and ensure a record of its activities. The collection documents the governance of the Triangle Club by its graduate Board of Trustees, particularly under the chairmanship of John Ball '52 (1973-1985), and includes bylaws, correspondence, reports and meeting agendas and minutes. The collection also includes minutes of the board of trustees meetings for 1983-1992 and 2006-2011.

Steering Committee for the 20th Anniversary of Coeducation Records, 1988-1990

AC182 2 boxes
In the Fall of 1998, President Harold T. Shapiro, recognizing that many groups, individuals, and organizations were interested in planning events and projects related to the 20th anniversary of undergraduate coeducation, appointed a Steering Committee to coordinate and help support these activities. These records document the planning, implementation, and assessment of the actions of the Steering Committee.

Princeton Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Records, 1948-1972

AC209 2 boxes
Princeton University's Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) program was started in 1946 amidst a wave of enthusiasm for the ROTC that followed World War II. The collection consists of publications, bulletins, course materials, and manuals pertaining to the Navy ROTC program at Princeton.

The Princeton Tiger Records, 1920-1985

AC266 4 boxes 1 folder 2 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton Tiger is the nation's second oldest college humor magazine. The collection consists of the administrative records of The Princeton Tiger.

Memorabilia Collection, 1775-2010 (mostly 1866-1997)

AC053 227 boxes 21 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
This collection contains over 1,800 items including mugs, pipes, canes, banners, hatbands, pins, jewelry, and other material collected by many individuals that document reunions, sporting events, student traditions, and other aspects of University life.

Princeton University 250th Anniversary Celebration Collection, 1993-1997

AC180 105 boxes 4 folders 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The 250th anniversary of Princeton's founding as the College of New Jersey in 1746, also known by the coined term "Bicennquinquagenary", was celebrated in 1996-1997 with a yearlong series of events. The collection consists of the records of the office in charge of organizing all 250th anniversary celebration activities, as well as examples of the many publications, event programs, invitations, posters, audio and visual recordings, and commemorative artifacts created in conjunction with those activities.

Office of the Provost Records, 1953-2020 (mostly 1967-2015)

AC195 396 boxes 1 folder 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of the Provost record group contains the records created and compiled by the Princeton University Office of the Provost since its establishment in 1966. As of 2018, this collection includes the files of the second provost, William G. Bowen GS '58, through the tenth provost, Amy Gutmann, whose tenure ended in 2004. The files consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, notes, speeches, publications, and other assorted material.

School of Engineering and Applied Science Records, 1884-2017

AC162 192 boxes 6 folders 4 items 2056 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Princeton University's School of Engineering and Applied Science is an academic unit which since 1921 has overseen the curriculum and administration of the University's academic departments in the engineering sciences. The records document the activities of the School of Engineering and its subordinate departments and programs from its origins in the late 19th century until the present, and consist of correspondence, subject files, research reports, photographs, and other audiovisual materials.

Princeton School of Public and International Affairs Records, 1847-2017

AC129 149 boxes 38 items 108 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Founded in 1930 as a cooperative enterprise of the History, Politics, and Economics Departments of Princeton University at the undergraduate level, the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs has since grown into one of the nation's foremost centers for professional public policy education, offering degrees on both the undergraduate and graduate level and contributing original research in a wide variety of fields related to public and international affairs. The records document the school's founding and development and include correspondence, subject files, publications, and audiovisual materials.

Princeton University Library Records, 1734-2017 (mostly 1952-1995)

AC123 635 boxes 5 folders 10 items 87 Volumes 1605 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton University Library is one of the foremost university libraries in the world. With collections totaling over 12 million volumes, manuscripts, and nonprint items spread across fifteen buildings, the Princeton University Library system serves not only the Princeton University community but the world at large. The Princeton University Library Records consist of the files of the University Librarian and other Library administrators and departments, as well as of the Friends of the Princeton University Library. Materials in the record group include correspondence, reports, publications, clippings, minutes, press releases, proposals, statistics, photographs and other audiovisual materials, and microfilm. The records document the Library's day-to-day operations as well as its involvement with other departments on campus, other college and university libraries, and library users.

Office of Research and Project Administration Records, 1938-2010

AC132 93 boxes 2 folders 22 digital files
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of Research and Project Administration acts as coordinator for all grants sought by the University, and also ensures the conformance of University practice with governmental regulations. The collection consists of annual reports, board minutes, policies, and interoffice correspondence of ORPA. Additionally, it contains files assembled for large-scale university research projects such as the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, as well as on research-related issues such as the use of human subjects and biosafety.

Bicentennial Celebration Records, 1944-1947

AC148 21 boxes 1 folder
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton University Bicentennial Celebration was a year-long series of events that began on September 22, 1946 with a sermon delivered by Geoffrey Francis Fisher, Lord Archbishop of Canterbury, in the University Chapel and ended with an address by President Truman in front of Nassau Hall at the June 17, 1947 Concluding Bicentennial Convocation. The Bicentennial Celebration Records contain correspondence, writings, speeches, press-releases, pamphlets, reports, newspaper clippings, tickets, transcripts, watercolor and pencil sketches and various other materials documenting the 1946-1947 Princeton University Bicentennial Celebration.

Princeton AlumniCorps Records, 1962-2012 (mostly 1989-2011)

AC414 12 boxes
Princeton AlumniCorps is a 501(c)3, non-profit organization that was created in 1989 by the Princeton Class of 1955. Originally named Princeton Project 55, Ralph Nader '55 and Charlie Bray '55 were instrumental in the group's founding and development. The Princeton AlumniCorps Records document the organization's first two decades of prominent initiatives intended to foster civic engagement and public interest amongst Princeton (college) alumni. Administrative documents, board correspondence, and planning materials for the respective initiatives comprise most of the collection.

Humanities Council Records, 1935-2021

AC143 6 boxes 1 websites .03 GB
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Council of the Humanities was founded in 1953 at Princeton University to foster teaching, research and intellectual exchange. Consists of materials collected and generated by the Council of the Humanities, including materials pertaining to the Ford Foundation Project.

Department of Biology Records, 1892-2007 (mostly 1910-1969)

AC142 18 boxes 2 items
The study of biology began at the College of New Jersey with the appointment in 1830 of botanist John Torrey into a part-time faculty position; it expanded with the formation of the School of Science in the 1870s; and was established as a department in 1904. The collection primarily consists of the records of the Department of Biology assembled during the tenures of Department Chairmen Edwin G. Conklin and Elmer Butler. Included are correspondence, general subject files, and records pertaining to grants, research endowments, publications, and administrative matters such as budgets and staffing. Also includes sponsored research reports and student grade cards.

Pyne-Henry Collection, 1747-1947

AC125 3 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Pyne-Henry Collection is a diverse group of documents, letters and writings relating to Princeton University, covering an array of topics primarily concerning student life and administrative activities. The collection consists of letters, essays and orations, reports, memoranda, minutes, proclamations, accounts and class lists, and other documents written by students, faculty and administrators which, along with other administrative records and Trustee Minutes, constitute the earliest records and documentary history of the University. Most of these papers and records were amassed by Princeton alumni Moses Taylor Pyne (Class of 1877) and Bayard Henry (Class of 1876) during the latter half of the nineteenth century.

Joseph Raycroft Papers, 1888-1953, 1992

AC146 7 boxes
Joseph Edward Raycroft was Princeton University's Chairman of the Department of Health and Physical Education. The Papers contain correspondence, writings, press-releases, reports, newspaper clippings, photographs, and memorabilia documenting Raycroft's personal life and career. Also included are library catalog lists and other material related to Raycrofts Library of memorabilia

Sesquicentennial Celebration Records, circa 1887-1993 (mostly 1894-1904)

AC141 17 boxes
The collection consists of materials relating to the three-day Sesquicentennial Celebration in October 1896, at which the College of New Jersey became Princeton University. In addition to ephemera and printed material distributed at the celebration, the collection includes a typescript draft of President Francis Landey Patton's sermon, sesquicentennial memorial books, a published sketchbook, official congratulations from other institutions, and press releases and newspaper clippings reporting the events.

Graduate School Records, 1870-2015 (mostly 1890-1995)

AC127 77 boxes 6511 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Graduate School at Princeton offers masters and doctorate programs in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and engineering. The Graduate School Records consist of minutes, correspondence, reports, writings, applications, surveys, and memoranda, as well as forms, course listings, and information on examinations and fees.

McCarter Theatre Records, 1922-2016

AC131 209 boxes 1 folder 6 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The McCarter Theatre was conceived as a permanent home for the Princeton University Triangle Club. McCarter began as a booking theater but ultimately moved into producing its own performances. The McCarter Theatre records document the history of the McCarter Theatre, including administration, performances and productions, and the building itself.

Office of Information Technology Records, 1956-2017 (mostly 1980-2008)

AC366 40 boxes 1 folder 16 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of Information Technology oversees Princeton University's academic and administrative systems and the information technology infrastructure that supports them. It also provides information technology products and services for students, staff, faculty, and alumni of the University. The Office of Information Technology Records consists of paper records and electronic media related to the administration and implementation of information technology at Princeton University.

Department of Politics Records, 1921-2017 (mostly 1921-1978)

AC166 39 boxes 4 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Department of Politics at Princeton University is one of the University's largest academic departments, offering undergraduate and graduate courses touching on nearly every aspect of the discipline of political science. The Department of Politics records document the activities of the Department of Politics and its faculty from the time of its founding in 1924 until the mid-1960s, and contain correspondence, course syllabi and notes, examinations, and subject files.

Department of Geosciences Records, 1845-2017

AC139 53 boxes 1 folder 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Established in 1904 as the Department of Geology, and later known as the Department of Geological and Geophysical Sciences, the Department of Geosciences has grown to become the center for the study of Earth, atmospheric, oceanographic, and environmental sciences at Princeton. The records document the department from its 19th-century origins to the recent past with departmental files, faculty files, faculty meeting minutes and visual materials.

Nadine Taub Collection of Sally Frank Court Documents, 1879-1992 (mostly 1979-1992)

AC194 18 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Nadine Taub Collection of Sally Frank Court Documents chronicle Nadine Taub's role as co-counsel for Sally Frank, Princeton Class of 1980, in her thirteen-year legal battle after filing a sex discrimination complaint with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights against Ivy Club, Tiger Inn, University Cottage Club and Princeton University, alleging that the clubs discriminated against her because of her gender. A significant part of the collection contains legal documents from Sally Frank's co-counsel as well as from defending counsel; research material including minutes, reports, newspaper clippings, campus publications, correspondence, and deeds; correspondence to and from Nadine Taub and Sally Frank, which is restricted until 2016; and from various counsel and judicial members.

Cyrus Fogg Brackett Lectureship Records, 1921-1952

AC188 6 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Cyrus Fogg Brackett Lectureship in Applied Engineering and Technology was established in memory of Professor Brackett in 1921 and continued until 1953. The collection contains many of the lectures–both in manuscript and published form–and correspondence with lecturers and potential lecturers. The collection also includes some general materials relating to the lectureship, such as citations, registries, histories, schedules, and short summaries of Professor Brackett's life and accomplishments.

Office of Communications Records, 1917-2022

AC168 276 boxes 2 folders 1 website
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of Communications is Princeton University's administrative department with oversight of media relations and publicity, official publications, web site design and development, and photographic services. The Office of Communications Records consist of subject files and photographs created by the office, some going back to the 1920s, when the first Director of Public Relations was appointed.

Department of Near Eastern Studies Records, 1933-2017

AC164 25 boxes 4 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Department of Oriental Studies was formed at Princeton University in the spring of 1927 as the Department of Oriental Languages and Literature. It offered an interdisciplinary curriculum centered on the study of the Arabic, Turkish, and Persian languages and the regions in which they were spoken until 1969, when it was reorganized into the separate Departments of Near Eastern Studies and East Asian Studies. The records consist of correspondence, memoranda, printed materials, course syllabi, and other materials which document the activities of the department and it's faculty inside and outside of the classroom.

Department of Music Records, 1932-2015

AC151 21 boxes 2 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Since 1935 Princeton University's Department of Music has offered courses in composition, music history, and related areas to students at the graduate and undergraduate level. The records of the Department of Music document the department's wide range of activities including teaching, research, curriculum development, and the planning of music-related programs on campus.

School of Architecture Records, 1935-2015

AC137 29 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The School of Architecture, previously known as the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, is Princeton University's academic unit dedicated to the teaching and study of architecture and related topics. The records include subject files, correspondence, course descriptions, and other administrative materials, as well as records from the Bureau of Urban Research and its successor, the Research Center for Urban and Environmental Planning.

Office of the Dean of Religious Life and the Chapel Records, 1906-2023 (mostly 1920-1981)

AC144 50 boxes 2 items 4 GB
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The religious interests of members of the University are served through the offices of the Dean of Religious Life and the Chapel, which work with chaplains of different denominations and faiths on a variety of activities. The Dean of the Chapel records document the activities of the Office and the Chapel and include former dean files, historical material, minutes, and marriage, birth, baptism, and death records as well as adminsitrative files and programs of services and concerts.

Department of Art and Archaeology Records, 1882-2017 (mostly 1925-1981)

AC140 17 boxes 2 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Art and Archaeology Department is one of the University's most distinguished academic departments, responsible for the education of students on the graduate and undergraduate level as well as the administration of the Princeton Art Museum. This collection consists of the records of the Department of Art and Archaeology, which include advisory council minutes; faculty files; gift records; correspondence; recommendations; project files; course lists; historical documents; and lists of images used in classes.

Admission Office Records, 1854-2017 (mostly 1922-1998)

AC152 42 boxes 2 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Admission Office has determined who should be allowed to enroll as undergraduates at Princeton University since 1922. The actual composition and the desired composition of each class have been contentious campus issues since the introduction of selective admission. The debates over the value of recruiting and admitting alumni sons, war veterans, athletes, disadvantaged students (especially racial minorities), and women are reflected in the records of the Admission Office. This collection includes a number of reports and minutes, some of which are restricted, news clippings and releases about Princeton admission, historical materials, and a series of Admission Office publications.

Astrophysical Sciences Department Records, 1835-2017 (mostly 1867-1966)

AC157 40 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The papers of the Astrophysical Sciences Department represent the original observation records, correspondence, and teaching documents of Princeton astrophysicists from 1835 to 1990.

Department of English Records, 1872-2017

AC134 34 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The papers of Princeton University's English Department document the many varied aspects of one of Princeton's largest academic departments. With some writings that pre-date the Department's formal establishment in 1904, the collection includes faculty meeting and sub-committee minutes; faculty personnel papers and correspondence; the papers of many prominent faculty members, which include class lectures, syllabi, and original scholarship; records of departmental majors; student work; and scrapbooks of publicity and memorabilia about the Department, its faculty, staff, and students, both undergraduate and graduate.

Office of the Controller Records, 1769-2009 (mostly 1921-2009)

AC161 70 boxes 173 Volumes
Established in 1920, the Office of the Controller is responsible for the preparation of the University's annual audited financial statements, as well as financial and tax reports to several government agencies including the Internal Revenue Service. Consists of records produced by the Office of the Controller that document University financial matters.

Office of the President Records: Robert F. Goheen Subgroup, 1924-1988 (mostly 1957-1972)

AC193 572 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The records of the Office of President Goheen contain the files of the President's Office during the administration of President Robert F. Goheen (1957-1972). The collection contains eighteen series, which consist of correspondence and memoranda, reports, speeches, publications, and related materials, which were created or received by Robert Goheen and other members of the President's office.

Office of the Dean of the College Records, 1919-2015

AC149 233 boxes 26 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of the Dean of the College is charged with overseeing undergraduate admission, curriculum, and academic development. The records document the work of the Dean of the College and the office staff, as well as faculty, students, alumni, and trustees whose work and interests have fallen under the domain of the Office of the Dean of the College. This record group contains annual reports, meeting minutes, departmental records, and correspondence.

Princeton University Class Records, 1798-2023

AC130 502 boxes 9 folders 8 items 3996 digital files 29.1 GB
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Class Records consist of a diverse set of materials documenting the history and activities of Princeton University classes during their time as undergraduates and as alumni. In the collection are correspondence, newsletters, publications, photographs, and memorabilia, all of which pertain to a particular Princeton University graduating class and its members.

Office of the Treasurer Records, 1754-2009 (mostly 1939-2006)

AC128 205 boxes 2 folders 2 items 98 Volumes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of the Treasurer is Princeton University's administrative office charged with the coordination and execution of the receipt, disbursement, custody, and safeguarding of the financial assets and resources of the University. The Office of the Treasurer records document the custodianship of Princeton University's finances and contain correspondence, annual reports, budgets, audited statements, and other finance-related materials which are related to the University's assets, investments, cash flow, and spending practices.

Princeton University Publications Collection, circa 1748-2016

AC364 156 boxes 6 digital files 1 website
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton University Publications collection contains issues of nearly 150 different periodicals published by the university and related organizations, as well as a few items published by others about the university, that have not been cataloged individually.

Princeton University Student Organization Websites Collection, 1996-2018

AC476 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The collection, assembled by staff of the University Archives, contains captures of public websites created and maintained by various student organizations at Princeton University. The collection does not contain exhaustive captures of all public student organization websites.
1 result

Princeton Nassoons Records, 1941-2012

AC412 6 boxes
The Princeton Nassoons are a close-harmony, all male, student a cappella group that formed in the late 1930s. The collection consists primarily of the Princeton Nassoons' original musical arrangements and correspondence.