Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Date range 1949 Remove constraint Date range: <span class="single" data-blrl-single="1949">1949</span>

Search Results

Syllabi and Course Materials Collection, 1826-2005

AC333 33 boxes
The Syllabi and Course Materials Collection brings together original materials from the university archives that document the content of classes taught at Princeton University.

General Princeton Theater Collection, 1883-1998

AC385 7 boxes 1 folder
There are several well-known Princeton theatrical groups, but students and faculty have also organized many smaller groups over the decades, both short-term and long-lived. The collection consists of posters, programs, photographs, news clippings, and a very small amount of design and planning materials gathered about campus theatrical groups that are not already represented in dedicated archival collections.

Princeton School of Public and International Affairs Records, 1847-2017

AC129 149 boxes 38 items 108 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Founded in 1930 as a cooperative enterprise of the History, Politics, and Economics Departments of Princeton University at the undergraduate level, the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs has since grown into one of the nation's foremost centers for professional public policy education, offering degrees on both the undergraduate and graduate level and contributing original research in a wide variety of fields related to public and international affairs. The records document the school's founding and development and include correspondence, subject files, publications, and audiovisual materials.

Princeton University Library Records, 1734-2017 (mostly 1952-1995)

AC123 635 boxes 5 folders 10 items 87 Volumes 1605 digital files 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Princeton University Library is one of the foremost university libraries in the world. With collections totaling over 12 million volumes, manuscripts, and nonprint items spread across fifteen buildings, the Princeton University Library system serves not only the Princeton University community but the world at large. The Princeton University Library Records consist of the files of the University Librarian and other Library administrators and departments, as well as of the Friends of the Princeton University Library. Materials in the record group include correspondence, reports, publications, clippings, minutes, press releases, proposals, statistics, photographs and other audiovisual materials, and microfilm. The records document the Library's day-to-day operations as well as its involvement with other departments on campus, other college and university libraries, and library users.

Undergraduate Academic Files, Series 3, 1940-1949

AC198-03 64 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
This collection consists of the individual academic files of former undergraduate students of Princeton University. The files contain grades, transcripts, and other information relating to the subject's academic career.

Office of Communications Records, 1917-2022

AC168 276 boxes 2 folders 1 website
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Office of Communications is Princeton University's administrative department with oversight of media relations and publicity, official publications, web site design and development, and photographic services. The Office of Communications Records consist of subject files and photographs created by the office, some going back to the 1920s, when the first Director of Public Relations was appointed.

Office of the Controller Records, 1769-2009 (mostly 1921-2009)

AC161 70 boxes 173 Volumes
Established in 1920, the Office of the Controller is responsible for the preparation of the University's annual audited financial statements, as well as financial and tax reports to several government agencies including the Internal Revenue Service. Consists of records produced by the Office of the Controller that document University financial matters.

Physics Department Records, 1909-2015

AC133 36 boxes 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The records of the Physics Department document the scientific and teaching activities of Princeton University physicists from 1909 to 1962. While routine activities such as the hiring of faculty and the education of graduate and undergraduate students are recorded, these records also detail the Department's activities in early studies of theoretical physics, as well as its participation in World War II research activities. There is also a small amount of material that documents Milton White's efforts toward builing the cyclotron (1936).
Top 3 results view all 37
Folder

Series 1, Chairman H. D. Smyth Records, 1933-1953

SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Series 1, Chairman H. D. Smyth Records, 1933-1953, contains personal and departmental papers from the tenure of Henry De Wolf Smyth, who chaired the Physics Department from 1935-1949. This series has several large groupings of files, such as applications for teaching positions and fellowships, departmental as well as confidential business, and recommendations for students and faculty. Other topics in this series include nuclear physics research in conjunction with the war effort, correspondence with faculty members, undergraduate and graduate instruction, financial records, and various committees, symposiums, and research efforts.

H. Hubert Wilson Collection on the Princeton University Department of Politics, 1924-1977 (mostly 1967-1977)

AC167 12 boxes
H. Hubert Wilson was a professor in Princeton University's Department of Politics from 1943-1977. The collection consists primarily of published sources on topics of interest to Wilson, as well as materials originating in Wilson's teaching at Princeton, and drafts of a publication titled "This Isn't Princeton".
3 results
Folder

Series 1: H. Hubert Wilson Collection on the Department of Politics, 1924-1977 (mostly 1967-1977)

Series 1: H. Hubert Wilson Collection on the Department of Politics, 1924-1977 (bulk 1967-1977) consists primarily of published sources on topics of interest to Wilson, including the administration, finances and governance of Princeton University, the activities of the Priorities Committee, government ties and sponsored research at Princeton, ROTC, and campus politics. It also contains materials originating in Wilson's teaching at Princeton, including student papers and theses, as well as drafts of a publication titled "This Isn't Princeton".
Collection

H. Hubert Wilson Collection on the Princeton University Department of Politics, 1924-1977 (mostly 1967-1977)

H. Hubert Wilson was a professor in Princeton University's Department of Politics from 1943-1977. The collection consists primarily of published sources on topics of interest to Wilson, as well as materials originating in Wilson's teaching at Princeton, and drafts of a publication titled "This Isn't Princeton".

Humanities Council Records, 1935-2021

AC143 6 boxes 1 websites .03 GB
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Council of the Humanities was founded in 1953 at Princeton University to foster teaching, research and intellectual exchange. Consists of materials collected and generated by the Council of the Humanities, including materials pertaining to the Ford Foundation Project.

Department of Biology Records, 1892-2007 (mostly 1910-1969)

AC142 18 boxes 2 items
The study of biology began at the College of New Jersey with the appointment in 1830 of botanist John Torrey into a part-time faculty position; it expanded with the formation of the School of Science in the 1870s; and was established as a department in 1904. The collection primarily consists of the records of the Department of Biology assembled during the tenures of Department Chairmen Edwin G. Conklin and Elmer Butler. Included are correspondence, general subject files, and records pertaining to grants, research endowments, publications, and administrative matters such as budgets and staffing. Also includes sponsored research reports and student grade cards.

Brooks Bowman Papers, 1914-1971

AC165 11 boxes 2 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Brooks Bowman '36 is best remembered as the composer of the songs "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" and "Love and a Dime." The Brooks Bowman Papers consist of correspondence and photographs that document his school years and his foray into the music industry. The bulk of the papers consist of Bowman's correspondence with his mother, sister, and numerous friends.
3 results
Folder

Series 1: Correspondence, 1923-1971

SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Correspondence series primarily documents Bowman's childhood and young adulthood, from his stay as a boy at a sanitarium in Kansas City for diabetes treatment through his years at Stanford and Princeton. Correspondence between Bowman and his mother, Mary Augusta Brooks Bowman, is particularly rich in part because they wrote each other almost daily and in great detail. Bowman's letters to his mother from Stanford and Princeton, in particular, are lively and quick-witted and reveal his myriad social activities, impressions of college life, and opinions on subjects of all sorts, from family matters to politics to popular films and actors. Correspondence with his father, sister, and brother can be equally revealing but does not match the sheer volume of correspondence between mother and son. Letters from Bowman's friends are also worth noting for their vivid evocations of private school and college life in the 1920s and 1930s. Bowman corresponded with several young women, including a cousin, Edith Brooks, who was traveling in the car with Bowman at the time he was killed. The young women's letters, in particular, contain a vivaciousness and convey their own and Bowman's very active social lives. Bowman also maintained a correspondence over many years with a member of the crew he met on a Cunard Lines voyage he took as a boy with his family. The crew member sent Bowman many letters and postcards from his voyages around the world.
Collection

Brooks Bowman Papers, 1914-1971

SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Brooks Bowman '36 is best remembered as the composer of the songs "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" and "Love and a Dime." The Brooks Bowman Papers consist of correspondence and photographs that document his school years and his foray into the music industry. The bulk of the papers consist of Bowman's correspondence with his mother, sister, and numerous friends.

Joseph Raycroft Papers, 1888-1953, 1992

AC146 7 boxes
Joseph Edward Raycroft was Princeton University's Chairman of the Department of Health and Physical Education. The Papers contain correspondence, writings, press-releases, reports, newspaper clippings, photographs, and memorabilia documenting Raycroft's personal life and career. Also included are library catalog lists and other material related to Raycrofts Library of memorabilia

Sesquicentennial Celebration Records, circa 1887-1993 (mostly 1894-1904)

AC141 17 boxes
The collection consists of materials relating to the three-day Sesquicentennial Celebration in October 1896, at which the College of New Jersey became Princeton University. In addition to ephemera and printed material distributed at the celebration, the collection includes a typescript draft of President Francis Landey Patton's sermon, sesquicentennial memorial books, a published sketchbook, official congratulations from other institutions, and press releases and newspaper clippings reporting the events.
3 results
Folder

Celebration Materials, 1887-1993

Celebration Materials, circa 1887-1993, collects invitations, programs, mass mailings, event notices, pins, and correspondence relating to the celebration (similar materials can be found in the first scrapbook in Series 4). A typed draft of President Francis Landey Patton's sesquicentennial sermon with corrections, a photograph album of the event, and a published book of sketches from the celebration by William Silas Whitehead can be found in this series as well.
Collection

Sesquicentennial Celebration Records, circa 1887-1993 (mostly 1894-1904)

The collection consists of materials relating to the three-day Sesquicentennial Celebration in October 1896, at which the College of New Jersey became Princeton University. In addition to ephemera and printed material distributed at the celebration, the collection includes a typescript draft of President Francis Landey Patton's sermon, sesquicentennial memorial books, a published sketchbook, official congratulations from other institutions, and press releases and newspaper clippings reporting the events.

McCarter Theatre Records, 1922-2016

AC131 209 boxes 1 folder 6 items
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The McCarter Theatre was conceived as a permanent home for the Princeton University Triangle Club. McCarter began as a booking theater but ultimately moved into producing its own performances. The McCarter Theatre records document the history of the McCarter Theatre, including administration, performances and productions, and the building itself.

Department of Politics Records, 1921-2017 (mostly 1921-1978)

AC166 39 boxes 4 items 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The Department of Politics at Princeton University is one of the University's largest academic departments, offering undergraduate and graduate courses touching on nearly every aspect of the discipline of political science. The Department of Politics records document the activities of the Department of Politics and its faculty from the time of its founding in 1924 until the mid-1960s, and contain correspondence, course syllabi and notes, examinations, and subject files.

Department of Geosciences Records, 1845-2017

AC139 53 boxes 1 folder 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Established in 1904 as the Department of Geology, and later known as the Department of Geological and Geophysical Sciences, the Department of Geosciences has grown to become the center for the study of Earth, atmospheric, oceanographic, and environmental sciences at Princeton. The records document the department from its 19th-century origins to the recent past with departmental files, faculty files, faculty meeting minutes and visual materials.

Princeton University 250th Anniversary Celebration Collection, 1993-1997

AC180 105 boxes 4 folders 1 websites
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
The 250th anniversary of Princeton's founding as the College of New Jersey in 1746, also known by the coined term "Bicennquinquagenary", was celebrated in 1996-1997 with a yearlong series of events. The collection consists of the records of the office in charge of organizing all 250th anniversary celebration activities, as well as examples of the many publications, event programs, invitations, posters, audio and visual recordings, and commemorative artifacts created in conjunction with those activities.

Gauss Seminars in Criticism Records, 1949-1981

AC178 5 boxes
SOME ONLINE CONTENT
Named in honor of Christian Gauss (1878-1951), one of Woodrow Wilson's original preceptors and dean of the college from 1925 to 1946, the Gauss Seminars in Criticism were conceived in 1949 by Richard P. Blackmur (1904-1965). One of America's foremost literary critics–and one of Princeton's most distinguished professors of English–Blackmur sought to stimulate discussion and the exchange of ideas in the humanities through presentations from scholars, artists, critics, and writers. The collection is composed of correspondence with guest speakers.

Auxiliary to the Isabella McCosh Infirmary Records, 1902-2007

AC175 10 boxes
The Auxiliary to the Isabella McCosh Infirmary is a volunteer fundraising organization which supports Princeton University Health Services. Founded in 1902 as the Ladies Auxiliary to the Isabella McCosh Infirmary, the group has been responsible for shaping student health at Princeton University for over a century. The records contain meeting minutes, annual reports, correspondence, and subject files which pertain to the McCosh Infirmary, or to the organization itself.
Top 3 results view all 16
Folder

Series 1: Meeting Minutes, 1902-2002 October 25

The Meeting Minutes series contains the meeting minutes of the Ladies Auxiliary. Included are annual meetings of the entire body, more frequent but less well-attended regular meetings, and executive board meetings. Each set of minutes notes the type of meeting, and contains the date of the meeting, its location, a list of attendees, and issues discussed or voted upon. Until 1915 the minutes are handwritten in bound ledgers by the Ladies Auxiliary Secretary.