Contents and Arrangement Expanded View

Collection Overview

Creator:
Princeton University. Dept. of Biology.
Collector:
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Title:
Department of Biology Records
Repository:
Princeton University Archives
Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/r494vk17f
Dates:
1892-1997 (mostly 1910-1969)
Size:
15 boxes and 2 items
Storage Note:
Mudd Manuscript Library (mudd): Box 1-15
Language:
English

Abstract

The study of biology began at the College of New Jersey with the appointment in 1830 of botanist John Torrey into a part-time faculty position; it expanded with the formation of the School of Science in the 1870s; and was established as a department in 1904. The collection primarily consists of the records of the Department of Biology assembled during the tenures of Department Chairmen Edwin G. Conklin and Elmer Butler. Included are correspondence, general subject files, and records pertaining to grants, research endowments, publications, and administrative matters such as budgets and staffing. Also includes sponsored research reports and student grade cards.

Collection Description & Creator Information

Description:

The collection primarily consists of the records of the Department of Biology assembled during the tenures of Department Chairmen Edwin G. Conklin and Elmer Butler. Included are correspondence, general subject files, and records pertaining to grants, research endowments, publications, and administrative matters such as budgets and staffing. Also includes sponsored research reports and student grade cards.

Collection Creator Biography:

The study of biology began at the College of New Jersey with the appointment in 1830 of botanist John Torrey into a part-time faculty position; it expanded with the formation of the School of Science in the 1870s; and was established as a department in 1904. Four years after the department was formed under the leadership of President Woodrow Wilson and William Berryman Scott, Blair Professor of Geology, Edwin Grant Conklin was appointed as the first full-time chair of the department. With the completion of Guyot Hall in 1910, the Department of Biology was given an official home, which it soon outgrew after a period of rapid growth. In 1960 the Moffett Laboratory was added to the building, and a biology library was formed soon after. Over the years the course of study offered by the Department of Biology has changed frequently to reflect advances in the field and the particular strengths of faculty, and in 1990 the Department was divided into the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and the Department of Molecular Biology.

Collection History

Processing Information:

This collection was processed.

Access & Use

Access Restrictions:

Records are closed for 30 years from the date of their creation. Materials older than 30 years that do not pertain to student academic performance, trustee issues, or faculty personnel matters are open.

Series 4 Grade Cards are restricted for 75 years from the date of their creation.

Conditions for Reproduction and Use:

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. For quotations that are fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. The Trustees of Princeton University hold copyright to all materials generated by Princeton University employees in the course of their work. If copyright is held by Princeton University, researchers will not need to obtain permission, complete any forms, or receive a letter to move forward with non-commercial use of materials from the Mudd Library. For materials where the copyright is not held by the University, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold the copyright and obtaining approval from them. If you have a question about who owns the copyright for an item, you may request clarification by contacting us through the Ask Us! form.

Credit this material:

Department of Biology Records; Princeton University Archives, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library

Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/r494vk17f
Location:
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
(609) 258-6345