- Collection Overview
- Collection Description & Creator Information
- Access & Use
- Collection History
- Find Related Materials
Series 10: Academic Departments, 1973-2016
Collection Description & Creator Information
Though the records of the Office of the Provost contain some material that is duplicated in other University record groups (such as those of the Office of the President and the dean of the faculty), there are specific subjects that this collection documents especially well. The provost (rather than the president) has primary responsibility for oversight of the University's affirmative action programs, computing, the University Library, the Art Museum, and the Plasma Physics Lab, which results in extensive documentation of these topics. These records are a rich source of information about the budgeting and fund allocation process, resulting from the provost's role as chair of the Priorities Committee of the Council of the Princeton University Community. The provost is also intensely involved with the academic planning process (the formation and development of academic departments, programs, and research centers) as well as the distribution of funds and space. All these subjects are well-documented in the collection. The collection also contains the archived website of the Office of the Provost covering the period 2015 and later.
No physical arrangement has been performed. For the purposes of this finding aid, the series is arranged into subseries by alphabetical range of academic departments.
- Archival Appraisal Information:
Appraisal was conducted according to Mudd Manuscript Library policies and procedures. Office invoices and receipts, job search material, grievance files, and personal files not pertaining to the Office of the Provost, have been separated from the records acquired in 2016.
Access & Use
- Conditions Governing Access
Series 10 is restricted for a period of 30 years from the date of creation. Due to the presence of personnel information, some files are restricted for a period of 75 years from the date of creation. 75-year restrictions are noted at the folder level.
- Conditions for Reproduction and Use:
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. For quotations that are fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. The Trustees of Princeton University hold copyright to all materials generated by Princeton University employees in the course of their work. If copyright is held by Princeton University, researchers will not need to obtain permission, complete any forms, or receive a letter to move forward with non-commercial use of materials from the Mudd Library. For materials where the copyright is not held by the University, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold the copyright and obtaining approval from them. If you have a question about who owns the copyright for an item, you may request clarification by contacting us through the Ask Us! form.
- Special Requirements for Access:
Some materials in the Office of the Provost Records [Boxes 258, 296, 364, 370] have been treated for mold; however, materials may still be fragile and exhibit signs of damage. Researchers should exercise caution when handling these materials.
- Credit this material:
Series 10: Academic Departments; Office of the Provost Records, AC195, Princeton University Archives, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library
- Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript LibrarySeeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library65 Olden StreetPrinceton, NJ 08540, USA(609) 258-6345
- Storage Note:
- Mudd Manuscript Library (mudd): Boxes S-000093, S-000360 to S-000365, S-000367, S-000370 to S-000371, S-000375, S-000377, S-000380 to S-000381, S-000384 to S-000386, S-000388 to S-000389, S-000392 to S-000393, S-000395, S-000397, S-000399 to S-000401, S-000406, S-000408 to S-000410, S-000413 to S-000417, S-000420 to S-000421, S-000423 to S-000426, S-000428 to S-000429, S-000431, S-000433, S-000437, S-000439 to S-000442, S-000446 to S-000447, S-000449, S-000455, S-000461, S-000465, S-000470, S-000477 to S-000478, S-000480 to S-000482, S-000484, S-000488 to S-000490, S-000492, S-000495, S-000497 to S-000499, S-000501, S-000503 to S-000505, S-000508