Contents and Arrangement Expanded View

Collection Overview

Creator:
Robertson Foundation.
Collector:
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Title:
Robertson Foundation Records
Repository:
Princeton University Archives
Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/4j03cz72s
Dates:
1959-2009
Size:
18 boxes and 2 items
Storage Note:
Mudd Manuscript Library (mudd): Box 1-18
Language:
English

Abstract

The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992).

Collection Description & Creator Information

Description:

Consists of materials from files of the Secretary of the Robertson Foundation, including Robertson Foundation Board of Trustees meeting minutes (1961-2009), Robertson Foundation chronological files (1959-2002), and miscellaneous Robertson Foundation Investment Committee materials (1961-1992). There are two sets of Board of Trustees meeting minutes. The set of minutes in binders (1961-1982, 2000-2008) also contains supplementary information. The minutes in file folders (1961-2009) appear to be a complete run, though some folders refer to the binders for related information, including occasionally minutes.

Collection Creator Biography:

Robertson Foundation.

The Robertson Foundation was established in 1961 to expand and support the graduate program of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. The Foundation was established as a not-for-profit Delaware corporation, the assets and income of which were dedicated "to and for the use of" Princeton University. Marie Robertson (wife of Charles Robertson, Princeton Class of 1926) bestowed an anonymous gift on Princeton in the form of $35 million of shares in The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P supermarkets) that was used to found the Robertson Foundation. The Foundation was known as the "X" Foundation until Marie Robertson's death in 1972 and was thereafter known as the Robertson Foundation. As a result of the settlement agreement reached on December 9, 2008 in the Robertson v. Princeton University lawsuit, the Robertson Foundation was dissolved on February 27, 2009, and the endowment associated with the Foundation is controlled by Princeton University.

Collection History

Acquisition:

Transferred to the University Archives in April 2009 [AR.2009.033].

Archival Appraisal Information:

No appraisal information is available.

Access & Use

Access Restrictions:

The Robertson Foundation Board of Trustee meeting minutes are open for research. The Foundation's chronological files (1959-2002) and Investment Committee files (1961-1992) are closed for ten years from the date of the transfer, until April 2019.

Conditions for Reproduction and Use:

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. For quotations that are fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. The Trustees of Princeton University hold copyright to all materials generated by Princeton University employees in the course of their work. If copyright is held by Princeton University, researchers will not need to obtain permission, complete any forms, or receive a letter to move forward with non-commercial use of materials from the Mudd Library. For materials where the copyright is not held by the University, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold the copyright and obtaining approval from them. If you have a question about who owns the copyright for an item, you may request clarification by contacting us through the Ask Us! form.

Credit this material:

Robertson Foundation Records; Princeton University Archives, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library

Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/4j03cz72s
Location:
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
(609) 258-6345

Find More