- Collection Overview
- Collection Description & Creator Information
- Access & Use
- Collection History
- Find Related Materials
15. Proposal to National Science Foundation for 360/91 Computer, 1968
Collection Description & Creator Information
The collection consists of selected papers of Spitzer. Included are design studies, technical plans and programs, various reports, correspondence, notes, and observations relating to Spitzer's involvement in the development of the study of space astronomy at Princeton. The papers primarily concern space telescopes and the design of the Orbiting Astronomical Observatory (OAO-3), the COPERNICUS satellite, which was launched by NASA in 1972. Also present are lectures, articles, and studies concerning interstellar matter, stellar atmospheres, ionized gases (plasma), and underwater sound research, as well as correspondence with fellow scientists, students, the American Astronomical Society, and other scientific societies. Included in additional papers is a letter, dated 1 November 1962, from John A. Wheeler, thanking Spitzer for his work on the first hydrogen bomb ten years earlier.
- Archival Appraisal Information:
No appraisal information is available.
Access & Use
- Access Restrictions:
Collection is open for research use.
- Conditions for Reproduction and Use:
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Inquiries regarding publishing material from the collection should be directed to RBSC Public Services staff through the Ask Us! form. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
- Credit this material:
15. Proposal to National Science Foundation for 360/91 Computer; Lyman Spitzer Papers, C0682, Manuscripts Division, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library
- Firestone LibraryOne Washington RoadPrinceton, NJ 08544, USA(609) 258-3184
- Storage Note:
- Firestone Library (mss): Box 29