- Collection Overview
- Collection Description & Creator Information
- Access & Use
- Collection History
- Find Related Materials
- Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem
- Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
- Constantinople Records of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem
- Manuscripts Division
- Permanent URL:
- 9 boxes
- Storage Note:
- Firestone Library (mss): Box 1-9
- Greek, Modern Turkish, Ottoman
Consists of administrative records of the Constantinople "metochion" of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
Collection Description & Creator Information
The collection consists of administrative records of the Constantinople "metochion" of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem. Included are documents concerning property transactions of the Holy Sepulchre; promissory notes issued by the Holy Sepulchre in the 1820s; documents relating to publishing activities of the Holy Sepulchre (1824-26, 1853-57); early 20th-century Constantinople correspondence of a textile company named Sterea; and various other Greek and Ottoman documents.
- Collection Creator Biography:
The Metochion of the Holy Sepulchre in Constantinople is a "daughter-house" of the monastery at the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
Gift: Program in Hellenic Studies with the support of the Stanley J. Seeger Hellenic Fund; 1991.
- Archival Appraisal Information:
No appraisal information is available.
- Processing Information:
Folder inventory prepared by Fadzilah Yahaya GS in 2011.
Some materials in the collection were treated for mold in 2016. Promissory notes did not receive full treatment (cleaning) due to their condition.
Access & Use
- Access Restrictions:
The collection is open for research.
- Conditions for Reproduction and Use:
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Inquiries regarding publishing material from the collection should be directed to RBSC Public Services staff through the Ask Us! form. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
- Credit this material:
Constantinople Records of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem; Manuscripts Division, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library
- Permanent URL:
- Firestone LibraryOne Washington RoadPrinceton, NJ 08544, USA(609) 258-3184
- Subject Terms:
- Property -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
Textile industry -- Turkey -- 20th century.
- Genre Terms:
- Commercial correspondence -- 20th century.
Promissory notes -- 19th century.
- Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem)
Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem)