- Collection Overview
- Collection Description & Creator Information
- Access & Use
- Collection History
- Find Related Materials
- Stratton Cripple Creek Mining and Development Company
- Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
- Stratton Cripple Creek Mining and Development Company Correspondence
- Manuscripts Division
- Permanent URL:
- 1907-1940 (mostly 1907-1908)
- 1 box and 0.4 linear feet
- Storage Note:
- Firestone Library (mss): Box 1
Consists of selected correspondence of the Stratton Cripple Creek Mining and Development Company concerning development and production work on specific properties in the Cripple Creek District. (Colo.) covering chiefly during the years 1907 and 1908.
Collection Description & Creator Information
The collection consists of selected company correspondence, mostly between F. M. Keeth of Cripple Creek and William Lloyd of Colorado Springs, from 1907 to 1940, concerning development and production work on specific properties in the Cripple Creek District.
- Collection Creator Biography:
W. S. Stratton (1848-1902) was the first millionaire to emerge from the Cripple Creek district, near Pikes Peak, in th early 1890s. His Independence Mine made him a fortune, and he became a huge landowner in the area and a great benefactor of Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Stratton Cripple Creek Mining and Development Company was created by Stratton near the end of his life and career in Cripple Creek. Its primary purpose was to purchase and consolidate properties on Gold, Globe, Ironclad, and Bull hills and for Stratton to carry out his quest for the "Bowl of Gold."--his idea that the major veins of ore merged underground in the form of a goblet. Later, this was proven to be false.
Purchased from Mt. Gothic and Reliquary in 2010.
- Archival Appraisal Information:
No appraisal information is available.
- Processing Information:
This collection was processed by John Delaney on March 22, 2010. Finding aid written by John Delaney on March 24, 2010.
Folder inventory added by Nicholas Williams '2015 in 2012.
Access & Use
- Access Restrictions:
The collection is open for research.
- Conditions for Reproduction and Use:
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. No further photoduplication of copies of material in the collection can be made when Princeton University Library does not own the original. Inquiries regarding publishing material from the collection should be directed to RBSC Public Services staff through the Ask Us! form. The library has no information on the status of literary rights in the collection and researchers are responsible for determining any questions of copyright.
- Credit this material:
Stratton Cripple Creek Mining and Development Company Correspondence; Manuscripts Division, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library
- Permanent URL:
- Firestone LibraryOne Washington RoadPrinceton, NJ 08544, USA(609) 258-3184
- Subject Terms:
- Mining districts -- Colorado -- Cripple Creek -- 20th century.
- Genre Terms:
- Commercial correspondence -- 20th century.
- Keeth, F. M.
- Cripple Creek Mining District (Colo.)