Council on Books in
Council on Books in Wartime Records
22.0 cubic feet, 42 boxes, 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder
The Council on Books in Wartime Records (1942-1947), an organization of
publishers and other literary professionals focusing on the promotion of books and
reading to further the war effort, consists of records from the preliminary foundation
meetings at Times Hall, New York, through the cessation of formal operations in 1946.
The major activities of the organization were focused on its two subsidiary publishing
ventures, the Armed Services Editions (1943-1947) and the Overseas Editions, Inc.
(1944-1945). The Records consist primarily of correspondence of council members,
publishers, printers, booksellers, librarians, and the general public. Also present are
meeting minutes, press releases, bulletins, radio scripts, contracts, financial records,
letters from servicemen, a few photographs of authors and council members, newspaper
clippings, and posters. At its last annual meeting in January 1946 the Council's Board
of Directors determined that at the end of operations "such records of the Council as
merit preservation shall be deposited in an appropriate public institution such as
Princeton University Library." The Records were subsequently acquired by Princeton
University Library and then librarian Julian P. Boyd.