Contents and Arrangement Expanded View

Collection Overview

Creator:
Princeton University. Dept. of Facilities.
Collector:
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Title:
Department of Facilities Records
Repository:
Princeton University Archives
Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/sf268509s
Dates:
1803-2015 (mostly 1955-1981)
Size:
64 boxes, 2 items, and 1 websites
Storage Note:
Mudd Manuscript Library (mudd): Box 1-64
Language:
English

Abstract

The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The Department of Facilities records document the daily activities of the department and its numerous divisions through blueprints, photographs, correspondence, memos, sketches, contracts, ledgers, tax returns, incorporation papers, by-laws, annual reports, financial statements, newspaper clippings, booklets, and meeting minutes.

Collection Description & Creator Information

Description:

The Department of Facilities records document the daily activities of the department and its numerous divisions, including real estate, grounds and buildings, and physical planning. Documents include blueprints, photographs, correspondence, memos, sketches, contracts, ledgers, tax returns, incorporation papers, by-laws, annual reports, financial statements, newspaper clippings, booklets, and meeting minutes. The history of new building construction and building renovation on campus in the mid-20th century is well represented. Also included are numerous documents related to the Lake Carnegie construction project and the Department of Facilities archived websites.

Please see series descriptions in contents list for additional information about individual series.

Arrangement:

The collection has been arranged in seven series:

Collection Creator Biography:

The Department of Facilities at Princeton University is responsible for the construction, maintenance, renovation, and financial management of the buildings and properties owned by the university. The department is also involved in the university's real estate transactions and planning of future land and building use. The offices that comprise the Department of Facilities hire architects and contractors for building construction and renovation, maintain campus housing and university buildings, and oversee landscaping and grounds maintenance.

The department currently known as Facilities began in 1876 when the Board of Trustees established the Grounds and Buildings Committee. The enormous growth of the campus in the 20th century resulted in an increase in size and scope of the department. In 1964, the Grounds and Buildings Committee became the Department of Property and Physical Facilities. The new, larger department included all aspects of management, construction, maintenance, and acquisition of university-related lands and buildings. Though the organization and divisions of the department have changed over time, offices devoted to real estate, grounds and buildings, and physical planning have been a mainstay since 1964. The department was renamed twice more before becoming the Department of Facilities in 1983.

The bulk of the Department of Facilities materials included originated with John P. Moran. Moran began his career at Princeton as an administrative assistant in Grounds and Buildings. He later became the General Manager of Planning, Plant, and Properties ultimately becoming Vice President for Facilities in 1974.

Collection History

Acquisition:

The Department of Facilities transferred the records to the Seeley G. Mudd Library in the 1980s .

Additions:

Periodic transfers of records are expected from the Department of Facilities indefinitely.

Archival Appraisal Information:

Duplicates of printed reports were removed during processing in 2008.

Sponsorship:

These papers were processed with an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.

Processing Information:

This collection was processed by Casey Babcock in May 2008. Finding aid written by Casey Babcock in May 2008. Series 5 was added by Lynn Durgin in December 2015.

Access & Use

Access Restrictions:

Series 1-6 are open for research use. Access to Series 7 is restricted.

Conditions for Reproduction and Use:

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. For quotations that are fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. The Trustees of Princeton University hold copyright to all materials generated by Princeton University employees in the course of their work. If copyright is held by Princeton University, researchers will not need to obtain permission, complete any forms, or receive a letter to move forward with non-commercial use of materials from the Mudd Library. For materials where the copyright is not held by the University, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold the copyright and obtaining approval from them. If you have a question about who owns the copyright for an item, you may request clarification by contacting us through the Ask Us! form.

Other Finding Aids:

Full text searching of the Princeton University Facilities archived website is available through the ArchiveIt interface.

Credit this material:

Department of Facilities Records; Princeton University Archives, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library

Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/sf268509s
Location:
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
(609) 258-6345