Contents and Arrangement Expanded View

Collection Overview

Creator:
Princeton university. School of architecture
Collector:
Princeton University. Library. Special Collections
Title:
School of Architecture Records
Repository:
Princeton University Archives
Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/ht24wj43g
Dates:
1935-2015
Size:
29 boxes and 1 websites
Storage Note:
Mudd Manuscript Library (mudd): Box 1-29
Language:
English

Abstract

The School of Architecture, previously known as the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, is Princeton University's academic unit dedicated to the teaching and study of architecture and related topics. The records include subject files, correspondence, course descriptions, and other administrative materials, as well as records from the Bureau of Urban Research and its successor, the Research Center for Urban and Environmental Planning.

Collection Description & Creator Information

Description:

Consists of the records of the School of Architecture and its related research units, the Bureau of Urban Research and its successor, the Research Center for Urban and Environmental Planning. Includes subject files, correspondence, course descriptions, published and unpublished studies produced by the School on subjects such as land use; and financial records of the department, faculty minutes, course descriptions, publicity materials, and reports documenting the School's accreditation visit by the National Architecture Accrediting Board. Also included in the collection are the correspondence and subject files of Robert Geddes and Robert Maxwell, the first two Deans of the School of Architecture.

Arrangement:

The records of the School of Architecture are divided into seven series:

Collection Creator Biography:

Princeton university. School of architecture

The School of Architecture, previously known as the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, is Princeton University's academic unit dedicated to the teaching and study of architecture and related topics. Founded in 1919 as the School of Architecture at Princeton University, it shared many faculty members and facilities with other units within the Department of Art and Archaeology. The steady growth of the program led to its establishment as an independent entity in 1952. The construction of a new building in 1963 and the creation of the office of Dean of the School of Architecture in 1965 further cemented the School's position as a full-fledged institution. Shortly thereafter, in cooperation with the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, a program in Urban Planning was added to the course offerings and in 1967 the name of the school was officially changed to the School of Architecture and Urban Planning. Around 1980, the School of Architecture and Urban Planning ceased its program in urban planning (although the Wilson School continues to offer one) and changed its name back to the School of Architecture. Today the School of Architecture offers undergraduate, master's, and doctoral degrees. Over the years, the course of study offered by the School of Architecture has been restructured frequently in response to technological innovation and emerging issues in the field of architecture, and many prominent architects have been drawn to the School to teach. Included among this group are Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, and Michael Graves.

Collection History

Acquisition:

Series 6: Bureau of Urban Research Records, 1935-1977 was previously cataloged as collection AC257. Series 7: Research Center for Urban and Environmental Planning Records, 1950-1970 (bulk 1960-1969) was previously cataloged as collection AC215. Professor Geddes transferred records in 2015 and 2016 (accession AR.2015.025 and AR.2016.045).

Archival Appraisal Information:

No information on appraisal is available.

Processing Information:

Series 6 and 7 were added by Christie Peterson with assistance from Suchi Mandavilli '14 and Eleanor Wright '14 in October 2011. Finding aid updated by Christie Peterson in October 2011. Additions to Series 1 were processed by Annalise Berdini in May 2018.

Access & Use

Access Restrictions:

This collection must be reviewed for potentially restricted records before access is given. Please contact the University Archives prior to your visit. In addition, the following materials are restricted for research in compliance with the University Archives Access Policy: Box 1: Folders 4-6 and 65-71; Box 6: Folder 32; Box 8: Folders 21 and 22, and Box 9: Folders 45, 53, and 55-58.

Conditions for Reproduction and Use:

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. For quotations that are fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. The Trustees of Princeton University hold copyright to all materials generated by Princeton University employees in the course of their work. If copyright is held by Princeton University, researchers will not need to obtain permission, complete any forms, or receive a letter to move forward with non-commercial use of materials from the Mudd Library. For materials where the copyright is not held by the University, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold the copyright and obtaining approval from them. If you have a question about who owns the copyright for an item, you may request clarification by contacting us through the Ask Us! form.

Other Finding Aids:

Full text searching of the School of Architecture archived website is available through the Archive-It interface.

Credit this material:

School of Architecture Records; Princeton University Archives, Department of Special Collections, Princeton University Library

Permanent URL:
http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/ht24wj43g
Location:
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
(609) 258-6345